sunset beach in Cape Cod
sunset beach in Cape Cod
Alyssa Mahoney

I studied abroad!… and then a pandemic hit.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

For those who are considering studying abroad, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I really hope that study abroad experiences can still happen once COVID-19 settles down a bit more! In the mean time, I’ll be here telling you everything you need to know about my trip to AUSTRALIA!

For a lot of people, deciding to study abroad isn’t always an easy one. Saying bye to family, friends and significant others can be mentally challenging. As well as leaving what you are so accustomed to at home, it can be terrifying. For me, that challenge was worth it. When I thought about studying abroad last year, I immediately knew I wanted to go to Australia. Maybe it was an easier decision for me because I have distant relatives that live there, and I have been to Europe numerous times as a lot of my family is over there. Besides knowing where I wanted to go, I also knew I was ready to. I felt confident enough in myself that I could travel across the world and do just fine. And I did! 

COVID sign with orange background
Photo by Cottonbro from Pexels

Countless people tell me that they’re scared to go abroad without knowing anyone. Well, that’s what I was planning on doing. Until, luckily, my best friend decided to come with me! Having her with me in Australia definitely made my experience a million times better, but I know I could have done it alone and not struggled with making friends. That is a huge part about going abroad: courage. You as an individual need to have the strength to say goodbye to what you once knew, and learn about a whole new part of the world we live in.

I was fortunate enough to study on the Gold Coast at Bond University. Bond was such a beautiful, small campus that really made it feel like home. I felt like I belonged there. I had a full schedule of classes Tuesday to Thursday, making it possible for me to travel long weekends. I visited a variety of locations, such as Sydney, Melbourne, Noosa and Byron Bay. Some of you might know Byron Bay because it is home to the HEMSWORTH brothers! My eyes were wide as I was searching for them there, but they weren’t in town, sadly. I also was lucky enough to go to Bali, Indonesia!

There are so many great parts to studying abroad, but if I had to pick a couple favorites, it would probably be Ultra Music Festival in Sydney and my trip to Bali. Ultra was a huge concert and I luckily got to meet up with my cousin for it! Artists there included DJ Snake, Zedd and more. 

Unfortunately my trip did get cut short due to COVID-19, but it only made me want to go back for more. I did so much exploring and learning in Australia, but there is always going to be room for more. COVID-19 taught me to never take anything for granted, because you don’t know when it’s going to be gone.

Australian map
Photo by Joey Csunyo from Unsplash

The different experiences you learn abroad are some you can take with you wherever you go. I learned life lessons, made valuable friendships, and most importantly I discovered more about myself that I ever thought possible. If you are looking for your sign to go abroad, this is it!

Victoria Tustin

U Mass Amherst '22

Tory is a senior here at UMass Amherst. She is currently a Journalism major with a Spanish minor, and has a passion for writing just about anything!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst