I Started a Podcast During Quarantine – You Can Too with These Tips!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Like many, I started a podcast during this strange time in our lives, and so far it’s been so much fun! I have a podcast called “C More Than Sports.” I host guests during my weekly episodes. I love watching sports and always appreciate what they bring to society and local communities. Even though I have started out by interviewing female athletes, I have had a variety of guests throughout the seven episodes I have released so far. I learn something about the format of my show with each episode, and I think they are definitely getting better over time. Here are some tips and tricks that I have picked up a long the way. 

Invest in Your Podcast

I use Libsyn as the host site for my podcast and it’s great because it lets you upload your podcast to pretty much every platform.

When editing my logo, episode previews, and video thumbnails, Canva is one of my favorite tools to help me keep my podcast aesthetic across all platforms.

Although some of these products are not free, there are many free and affordable options out there. As someone on a college budget, I definitely mapped out these purchases before taking the leap.

Create a Strong Social Media Presence

When I made my podcast I checked to see if the username was available across my most frequently used social media platforms. I reserved an email address with the same name as well. I figured it was fate when all of these were available!

Twitter is one of the best social platforms in terms of getting your work out there. Instagram is another great outlet to help you get discovered. 

I do not have a TikTok, but I think that since it is one of the most popular platforms at the moment, it could definitely be a great tool to use. You could use it to promote episodes and build an audience.

Do Not be Afraid to Fail

Some of my best episodes have come after an awkward episode. You will always learn something when you make a mistake. Accepting failures, both big and small, is healthy, as long as you can pick yourself up and grow from them.

It’s okay to change up your process and try new things. Results will show you if you should keep the new additions or reevaluate. I like switching things up from time to time to see if they work. Getting feedback from friends and family is also helpful.

Podcast are great because they can be about anything. Even though the title of my show seems very specific, I feel completely comfortable deviating from the norm and trying out different things. I hope these tips were helpful. If I can record, edit, and upload from my phone, anything is possible! Best of luck!

All images are courtsey of the Her Campus media library 

Chanel Keenan

U Mass Amherst '21

My name is Chanel! I hope you enjoy this collection of articles. 
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst