I Scream for Ice Cream: 5 Best Ice Cream Places in MA from a Self Proclaimed Ice Cream Connoisseur

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

With summer creeping up on us all, I thought it would be appropriate for me to release my favorite ice cream spots in Massachusetts. I’m someone who could never get tired of eating ice cream and, in fact, I eat it almost every night in the summertime. There’s just something so incredible about a late-night ice cream cone on a cool summer night. From texting your friends to go get ice cream, to driving with the windows down while blasting music, to finally arriving at the ice cream place and spending hours there even after you’ve finished your ice cream. Going to get ice cream is so much more than just eating ice cream — you know? Well, if you don’t know, I think you need to experience this. So, here’s a list of five ice cream spots in Massachusetts (not in any particular order — I just couldn’t bring myself to pick a favorite) that you absolutely need to check out.

Sundae School – Dennis, MA

If you’ve ever been down Cape, you definitely know this one. Sundae School Ice Cream has two locations — one in Dennis, and one in Harwich Port. While I’ve never tried the one in Harwich Port, I’d have to say nothing could quite beat the one in Dennis. It’s almost always packed on a cool summer night, with a long line that snakes taking up about half the parking lot. But, let me tell you, waiting in the long line is so worth it. When you finally get up to the window, you’re hit by the smells of homemade ice cream. There are so many flavors available, and the ice cream sundaes are a big hit. If you order an ice cream sundae, you even get your own paper hat to go with it while you eat your sundae. Though there are so many great options, I always order the same thing whenever I go: chocolate ice cream in a sugar cone. Yes, this may seem boring, I know, but this is the best chocolate ice cream I’ve ever had. I still remember trying it the first time I went as a kid, and I was blown away. From then on, I’ve declared that I always will get that order every time I go.

Uhlman’s – Westborough, MA

Uhlman’s Ice Cream is a small ice cream spot in the Metrowest Area of Massachusetts. Not only do they have phenomenal ice cream, but they also have cows! They have cows behind where you order, so you can eat your ice cream while looking at cows — what’s better than that?! Uhlman’s has so many cool and unique flavors, ranging from Kahlua Fudge Brownie to Green Tea. My personal favorite has to be Coffee Oreo. The coffee flavors are so strong, and the Oreos serve as a nice crunchy compliment.

Twin Acres – Sandwich, MA

Another great ice cream place on the Cape is Twin Acres in Sandwich. Twin Acres is the perfect spot to hit after spending your whole day on the beach basking in the sun, yearning for a cold, sweet treat. This spot was where I first tried Purple Cow ice cream, and my life was changed from there on out. Their ice cream is so creamy, and offered in generous portions, I might add.

Kimball Farm – Westford, MA

Kimball Farm in Westford not only has amazing ice cream, but they also have golfing, bumper cars, zip lines, and more. I’ve been here a couple of times; once with my family and another during my Senior Week with my class. You’re guaranteed to have a day full of fun here. After playing mini golf or hitting baseballs at the batting cage, you can enjoy some homemade ice cream. One of my favorites here is their Mint Oreo. It’s the perfect refreshing treat you can have after a long day of fun in the sun.

Erikson’s – Maynard, MA

Although I did begin this article saying this wasn’t a ranking of my favorite ice cream places, and rather a humble list — I lied. Erikson’s in Maynard is my number one favorite ice cream place. My mom always went here while she was growing up with her siblings and her parents, calling them “Erikson’s nights.” They would all pack into their station wagon on a cool summer night and venture to Erikson’s to enjoy creamy, homemade ice cream and each other’s company. This tradition carried on throughout the years such that I grew up going to Erikson’s many nights in the summer. I hold such fond memories of many summer nights spent here with my cousins and my brother laughing, eating ice cream, and just being together. While I’ve pinpointed each of my favorite ice cream flavors at the spots above, I’ve yet to find my favorite flavor here. I’ve tried almost every flavor they have, but I just can’t bring myself to declare my favorite quite yet.

To some, ice cream may just be a cold sweet treat that’s enjoyable. But to me, it’s so much more. I share my love of ice cream with my friends and family, which is something special. Sharing a love for something brings people together. It eliminates disagreements or silly arguments we may have. Something as simple as going to get ice cream brings us together, where we spend our time with each other and find joy in each other’s company.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets 

Rose Kelly

U Mass Amherst '26

Rose is a sophomore at UMass Amherst studying Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences with an Art minor. She loves spending time at the beach, painting in watercolors, and eating Purple Cow ice cream.