Life > Academics

I Finished College in Two Years, Here’s How I Did It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

“So you are a senior at UMass, aren’t you only 19 years old?” This is the first question I get asked every time I introduce myself and explain that I am starting my Master’s in the fall. Graduating college in four years is already hard enough, and sometimes I do ask myself how I managed to do it in two. Here’s what I can tell you about my experience.

When I first started college, I created a spreadsheet of every class I would take during my undergraduate career. I began with all of my general education requirements for both the university and my major. I actually started off as a political science major and never saw myself in public health. However, I spontaneously filled one of my elective spaces with an introductory public health course and fell in love. 

UMass Amherst
Original photo by Anumeha Rajvanshi

I made the decision to switch my major only one week into my first semester, and I have not looked back. I marched home after declaring my new major to completely reconfigure my perfect four-year plan. As much as I wanted to plan for my future, I failed. I found myself engrossed in topics I never thought I could tolerate and fell in love with science. 

My family and friends often describe me as a “doer,” someone who is constantly on the go and making things happen. I love to read during my free time, and I have a stack of textbooks on my desk that were not required for any of my classes. I have always taken passion to another level, and will immerse myself in anything and everything that I care about. I admit that I need to work on my work-life balance, but I am an introvert who genuinely does not enjoy going out on the weekends to party. However, I have learned that having a social life is important and shapes the college experience. 

Constantly seeking new opportunities, I sought out part-time internships on top of my courses. I was constantly petitioning for credit overload because there were so many classes I wanted to take, and I love keeping busy. My busy semesters were accompanied by summer courses, as well as several courses from other universities that transferred to UMass. I specifically had a great experience taking online classes at UConn which often fulfilled my requirements and were manageable. 

It was this fall when I began to make my spring schedule that I realized I was running out of courses to take. I consulted my academic requirements, and sure enough, I was 30 credits short of graduating with two years left to go. I contacted my advisor and was told I could graduate this spring with a BS in Public Health Sciences. I am now wrapping up my senior year course requirements, working as an undergraduate course assistant, and participating in a part-time internship. I will be starting my MPH this fall, and I had to write those applications over the course of a week because I did not plan for any of what was to come.

There is no secret to graduating early. My best advice is to lead with your true self. Sometimes I do wish I had more fun in college, but I remember that I really enjoyed the intellectual journey I embarked on. I have made a couple of close connections and discovered my interests, but this is only the beginning of my journey. I still have no clue where I will be in five years, but I do know that if I lead with love, passion, and curiosity that I will continue to follow my path which will lead to exactly where I am supposed to be.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets.

Darya Iranmanesh

U Mass Amherst '24

My name is Darya Iranmanesh (she/her) and I am a junior public health and political science dual degree student at UMass Amherst. One fun fact about me is that I lived in Washington DC for a semester and absolutely loved it. My long-term goal is to advocate for those with disabilities through policy work (and hopefully make it back to DC!). I have been writing since 2017, with my first published article in Education Week in 2018 discussing my experience with the special education system. I was born with a rare genetic disease that has left me significantly visually impaired. I hope to spread awareness through talking about my experience with blindness and disability in general. I really enjoy reading (Colleen Hoover is my favorite author), music (Taylor Swift fan here!), and indoor cycling. I hope to become a spin instructor someday in addition to my other projects. My favorite TV show is definitely Grey's Anatomy and my favorite movie is Mean Girls, a classic! I am a member of the UMass Persian Student Association and am part of the Pre-Law society. I hope you enjoy my articles, as I am excited to share my thoughts on all things lifestyle and social change with you!