How the TV Show Parenthood Accurately Depicts Four Different College Experiences

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The show “Parenthood” is about the Braverman siblings who are all parents. But it’s their children, the supporting characters who make the show appealing to teens and young adults now, 10 years after it premiered. The subject of college is a common storyline among four of these characters that are realistically told. Applying to, getting in, not getting in, life at…basically anything to do with one of these characters going to college is immediately interesting. The experiences of Haddie, Amber, Drew and Amy could have easily been backstories filled with clichés, but instead, we are drawn to each of their unique experiences because they are so relatable.

group studying
Photo by Marvin Meyer from Unsplash

Haddie:

Let’s begin with Haddie, whose father is the eldest of the Braverman siblings and the oldest of their children.  

Haddie’s victories were almost always overlooked by her parents attending to her brother’s needs, often ignoring her success in the classroom. Her hard-work, volunteer experience and extracurriculars resulted in acceptance to Cornell University–and finally attention from the entire Braverman clan. Haddie’s independence and resilience prepared her for the move from Berkley to Ithaca, with the school of her dreams being just a plane ride away.

Amber:

Haddie’s cousin Amber didn’t grow up in the same environment that Haddie did. Amber’s broken family, issues at school, and looming pressure from her extended family to get into a good school added a lot of stress to her application process.

When Amber heard she was rejected from all three of the schools she applied to, she decided the college experience wasn’t for her. She chose to live on her own, work as a barista, then on a political campaign, and eventually work full time at a recording studio. Amber took her talents and passions to work instead of a classroom, like many do.

Drew:

Drew, a first-generation student, made family history when he became the first member of his direct family to go to college. During his first semester at the University of California Berkley, he found himself home a lot for mandatory Braverman family dinners or just to check in on his sister.

Drew squashes the stereotype of needing to completely ignore your family when you go to school, instead he takes advantage of having a home-cooked meal or hug from mom just a short drive away.

Mother holding her daughter
Photo by Eye for Ebony on Unsplash

Amy:

Drew’s former girlfriend Amy is thrilled to move from the sunny California to Boston after she is accepted to her top choice, Tufts University. But sadly, the harsh reality that many college kids face hit Amy right away. She hated it. The combination of the long, dark Boston winters and failing to bond with her peers, had Amy was convinced Tufts was not the place for her.

As a transfer student myself, Amy’s story is incredibly accurate. When you know a school isn’t for you, everything becomes clear. Sometimes your first choice doesn’t stay your only choice and that’s okay!  

Well, I could sit and talk about “Parenthood” for hours, dreaming of being a part of the Braverman family or simply just being on campus. While I wait to see what my next plan is, I will have to live vicariously through the eyes of these four, watching “Parenthood” for an embarrassing number of times.

Lulu Kesin

U Mass Amherst '23

Lulu is a senior double major in journalism and communications. Some of Lulu's passions include wearing patterned pants, dancing in the grocery store, watching coming of age movies and advocating for female equality in the sports industry.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst