Career > Money

How to Stop Letting Emotions Control Your Spending

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Lately, when midterms, my thesis, or life is stressing me out, I’ve found myself wandering through the aisles of Target, buying random décor and cosmetics that I don’t need. It’s a waste of money, and it doesn’t help me feel better in the long run. In fact, I usually feel worse, because I just wasted $30 on what, exactly? Here are some of the strategies I’ve used to stop my stress-based shopping.

1. Recognize that you’re feeling stressed/upset/sad, and find another way to cope.

Shopping might help you feel better for a little while, but after the distraction ends, you won’t feel any better. Shopping can actually be more stressful if you’re on a budget or trying to save and feel like you’ve wasted your money. Instead of going to a store, do something that will actually help you relax—hanging out with a friend, watching your favorite show, or going on a walk. Rather than distracting you from the problem, finding a healthy way to deal with stress is better in the long term.

2. Stop getting emails from your favorite stores.

Coupons and sales can be a great excuse to spend money. Sure, maybe you’re getting 20% off, but you’d be saving more if you just didn’t buy it at all. Have emails from stores sent to a separate folder or the promotions tab on Gmail, and only check it if you know you need something already. Buying something only because it’s on sale is a trap that tricks you into buying things you probably don’t really need or want.

3. Make online shopping as inconvenient as possible.

Don’t have your payment info saved on your computer! If you’re not willing to get your credit card and type in the number, then you probably don’t need to buy it. It’s also good to make yourself wait a day or two before buying something online. If you’re just buying it because you need a distraction, then you’ll realize that the next day.

I’m not saying that you should never spend money, or even that buying yourself a treat is always a bad idea. If you’re having a bad day, getting yourself a nice coffee or buying that pair of jeans you’ve been thinking about getting for a while can help put you in a better mood. But relying on spending money to feel better all the time is bad for your wallet, your mood, and the environment. There are better ways to handle the stress of college life and build a good relationship with money and spending while you’re young.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Allison Brookhart

U Mass Amherst '23

Ally Brookhart is a senior at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. She is majoring in biochemistry and is interested how science interacts with society. Ally enjoys exploring new places, reading, working out, and playing volleyball.