How To Date A Boy Addicted To Sports

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Dating boys are tough. Dating boys who watch every sports game every day like their life depends on it… even harder. However, it appears there are a lot of people I know who are all in the same boat: trying to dig into the mind of boys who love sports. Here are some helpful tips if you find yourself dating a boy who is glued to the sports channels. 

No plans on Sundays

This is crucial to understand during football season. If there’s a game on, do not expect much from him. A light tap of the arm is about as much as you will get on Sunday. No important conversations can occur during this time either. Talking to him while he is watching the game is going to be like talking to yourself. There are going to be some head nods as you talk, but do not expect him to repeat what you said. If you know this, it will prevent arguments and hurt feelings when he says no to your hike date on a Sunday afternoon. 

Conversation

Speaking of talking, don’t do much. Don’t ask what’s happening or try to tell him about your day. He is in a zone and would love to hear all about it AFTER the game. However, if you do have a conversation and there is a huge play in the game and he gets up and cheers, realize the conversation is probably over for now and can be resumed at the commercial break. Also, don’t feel awkward when you’re talking and they get up and start cheering. They didn’t mean to be rude. 

Understanding the game

Sports are confusing. I don’t think I will fully be able to understand any of them. It is important though that you get a brief understanding of what the games are that he likes to watch. It’s just so you’re not sitting there confused the whole time. It’s also so you don’t have to ask questions during the game. Something they will get excited about though is if you ask them to explain the game after the games are over. He will probably whip out his laptop and show you some previous clips to explain what is going on. That is the time for questions.

Notifications

Yahoo Sports is an incredible tool for those dating boys into sports. Every game, every play, you get a notification of what is happening. This way, even though you aren’t hanging out, you still know the important parts of the game so you are connected. If you have plans to hang out after, it allows you to know if they won or lost so you can predict his mood. It also lets you know when games are on other days of the week so you know when he won’t be available. 

The key to dating a boy who is addicted to sports is understanding how to work around the schedule. Never take anything personally. Either they aren’t trying to be rude, or they’re just in their own world. Always feel free to have him sit through your favorite romantic comedy after!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Sydney Dion

U Mass Amherst '23

Communication Disorders Major