How to Stay Healthy (When Everyone Is Sick)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Is your throat feeling a bit itchy? Or worse… ten people in your lecture will not stop sneezing and coughing and aren’t covering their mouths. Going to a school with 28,000 people definitely calls for the need to go above and beyond to stay healthy. Just remember these few tricks and you’ll be good to go, even when the whole campus is sick.

My ultimate favorite place to find immune support boost pills is Whole Foods (if you’re a bit of a health freak like myself, you’ll love its close proximity to campus). One of the most reliable of immune support pills are the Gaia Herbs wellness pills. If you feel like you’re already sick, just buy a bottle of the Quick Defense, which will immediately start working. The Gaia Herbs brand is 100% vegetarian, dairy free and contains no gluten ingredients so it’s right for almost everyone! If you’re not feeling the Gaia Herbs brand then talk to your doctor about a vitamin that will help your immune system during the stressful weeks of college.

An easier and less expensive way to stay healthy is to watch what you consume! Make sure to eat a lot of fruits and veggies and don’t forget to thoroughly wash all of your produce. Keep your meals balanced with protein and carbs and drink LOTS of water. If you’re starting to feel a little sick, stay away from alcohol on the weekends. Alcohol lowers your immune system significantly, leaving your body vulnerable to diseases.

Most importantly, wash your hands as much as possible! Ever notice how your doctors barely get sick, even though they’re around sick patients all day? The trick is as easy as washing your hands and not touching your mouth or eyes during the day!

Remember to rest up when you can and follow the above advice and you’ll be feeling your best all semester long!

Photo Sources

http://cyclonecindy.files.word…

http://theappledaily.files.wor…

http://www.washinghands.net/im…

Sarah Freudson

U Mass Amherst

Hey everyone!My name is Sarah Freudson and I'm a junior studying Legal Studies and Women, Gender, Sexuality Studies at Umass Amherst! I am a sister of Sigma Kappa Sorority and am very passionate about philanthropy. I volunteer my time as an art assistant, spending time with the elderly and visiting the sick at hospitals.My one goal in life is to visit as many countries as possible.  I am Ukrainian and I go back to the homeland to visit family as much as I can!The most significant thing about me is my idolization of F. Scott Fitzgerald. His quote: "just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had," literally dictates my life. It shows the importance of volunteering along with the realization of how lucky we all are for our given circumstances.  I'm the type of girl that looks at the glass half full, thats for sure!!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst