How To Sound Like You Know Sports

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Have you ever been in an awkward situation where you’re put on the spot to spill sport knowledge you may not actually have?

Well, fear not collegiettes!

Here are the top 5 sport stars you could reference at any given time. The best part is, you probably already know them from the People Magazine subscription you have sent to your dorm room.

1.) Tom Brady

Although you might know Tom Brady as the hunk who graces the pages of Sports Illustrated and US Weekly donning Uggs and Under Armor, did you know he actually has a profession other then being Mr. Gisele Bundchen?
Trying to impress your friends or that hottie you met at the bar with “Of course I know who Tom Brady is, he’s Giseles best accessory,” will. not. work!

Here are some easy stats to help you look like you know what he does, instead of whom he does.

• He is the quarterback for the New England Patriots.
  • He played college football at the University of Michigan.
  • In 2007, Brady set the record for most touchdowns passes in a season with 50.
  • Brady has been in the Super bowl 5 times, with 3 wins and 2 MVP’s.

2.) Lamar Odom

It may come as quite a shocker to women all over the world that Lamar Odom is not just a (possibly permanent,) fixture in the Kardashian clan.

Marrying Khloe in September 2009, Odom became a household name. Unfortunately for the basketball super star, it wasn’t for the reason he had hoped.

For those of you who think Lamar Odom is nothing more then Mason Disicks uncle, here are some facts to help you look like Odom’s number one fan!

• Odom’s nickname is “Package” for having an all around great game.
  • He played basketball for the University of Rhode Island.
  • He has played for the LA Lakers in the past, but moved on to become a forward for the Dallas Mavericks.

3.) Derek Jeter

It came as no surprise to me that when I typed “Derek Jeter” into Google, nearly nothing about his baseball career appeared in the drop box. The top three search results for this hottie were, Derek Jeter Minka Kelly, Derek Jeter Girlfriend, and Derek Jeter Cologne.

Known for his high profile love life, (not to mention his incredible body,) this baseball mega star is less known for his homeruns scored, and more for the beauties he has scored with.

You may think you know a lot about Derek Jeter due to the number of headlines he has made in the tabloids. However, knowing the details of his on-and-off relationship with Minka Kelly will not impress your favorite Yankee Fan.

Here are some facts to guide you through your next conversation about baseball.

• Jeter plays shortstop for the New York Yankees.
  • He is a 12 time All-Star, and won 5 World Series.
  • He is known to Yankee fans as one of the best players on the team.
  • Sportswriters foresee Jeter being induced into the Baseball hall of fame following his career.

4.) David Beckham

Sometimes dubbed in the English tabloids as Mr. Spice, David Beckham is known as one half of Britain’s hottest power couple.

Whether he is on television wearing nothing but a pair of underwear from his H & M collection, or sporting his multiple tattoos in the tabloids, it can be sometimes hard to remember that he is one of the greatest soccer players of all time.

Here are some specifics to help you score a goal with that soccer fan you’ve had your eye on.

• He is a right/center Midfielder
  • Beckham entered professional soccer with Manchester United
  • He has played for Preston North End, and Real Madrid
  • He currently plays for the Los Angeles Galaxies

5.)Dwayne Johnson (aka The Rock)

When you hear the name “The Rock,” you probably think of a hunky actor appearing in films like Fast Five, The Mummy Returns, or The Game Plan.

Dwayne Johnson found his way to fame (and a killer nickname,) when he entered the World Wrestling Federation.
Here are some rock solid facts to help you impress any wrestling buff

• The Rock comes from a family of professional wrestlers. (Grandfather, father, uncles and cousins)
  • He made his wrestling debut as Rocky Maivia, which combined his father and grandfathers ring names.
  • He won the WWF intercontinental Championships on Raw in 1997

So, next time you need to show off your sports knowledge refer back to these stats. Simply knowing that Tom Brady is a 5-time Super Bowl winner and not just the husband of Gisele Bundchen will help you get through any conversation about sports. Who knows, maybe you’ll score with that football fan you’ve had your eye on!

Photo Credit:
Tom Brady: http://itsnews2them.blogspot.com/2010/11/tom-bradys-hair-transplant-secr…
Lamar Odom: http://www.lakermania.com/lamar-odom/
Derek Jeter:  http://thebertshow.com/does-derek-jeter-send-his-one-night-stands-away-w…
David Beckham: http://www.soccerwallpaper.mackafe.com/index.php/photos/3401
The Rock: http://www.westlord.com/dwayne-johnson-the-rock-wwe-career/
Rep Image: feed://familybuilders.net/williebatsonblog/feed/