This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I don’t know about you, but during the beginning of this pandemic, I took some time to rewatch my favorite Fox show: New Girl. For those who don’t know, set in Los Angeles, New Girl is the story of a energetic girl who moves in with three guys she met on the internet; Nick, Schmidt, and Winston. The show itself is hilarious, but I think there’s a thing or two we can learn from each character to stay a little more sane during this pandemic.

Jess

To me, Jess is a reminder that if you do the right thing and stay positive, things are going to be okay. She wears bright colors, speaks in song, and has baby barn animals on her bank checks! In the show, she’s the beam of sunshine as the guys rain on everyone’s parade. During this pandemic, she’s a reminder to see the good in little things and that everything will eventually be okay.

New Girl Nick Miller Started from Bottom GIF
Giphy / Fox

Nick

While Nick is a rugged and sometimes negative character, there’s still something to say about his role in the show. In my opinion, Nick is one of the most creative television characters I’ve seen. He fixes clogged sinks with a mop pole and is the cocreator of the Swuit—a suit made of sweatshirt material, duh! Nick serves as a reminder to get creative and never let your mind see a dull moment. Not to mention, he found his true calling in his mid-thirties, reminding us that it’s never too late to see things with a new perspective.

20th Century Fox Television / Giphy

Schmidt

This guy is the sassiest, most energetic, and physical character in the business. Played by Max Greenfield, this germophobe truly reminds us to keep things clean and wash our hands. The cleanest of the roommates, he spends a lot of his time wiping up spills and twitches at the sight of anyone eating with unwashed hands.

Winston

Winston Bishop, a.k.a., Prank Sinatra, can help us try to make the simplest things funny. While some of his pranks are over the top, Winston is lowkey the funniest character on the show with his wacky button-ups and love for cats, he always finds laughter in the simplest moments. He reminds us to look for a laugh everywhere and anywhere.

20th Century Fox Television / Giphy

Cece

Cece serves as a reminder to work hard! In the show, she balances work while being a college student, which I’m sure is what a lot of us are going through right now. Cece is the resident party girl of the show, but never fails to show how hard she can work at something. We can still have fun and work hard!

New Girl Nick Miller TV GIF
Giphy / Fox
New Girl is ache in my side funny, but its characters are still complex and intriguing. Elizabeth Meriwether created a show with immensely different characters that somehow all have something in common that keeps them close. I wonder what New Girl would look like during COVID-19!

Elizabeth Webler

U Mass Amherst '22

Elizabeth studies Philosophy and Political Media Communications at UMass Amherst. Her favorite topics to write about include politics, personal growth, and current events. She loves reading, watching SNL and exercising in her free time!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst