How Manifesting Helped Me With My Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

This April was probably the worst I ever felt mentally. I wasn’t really feeling myself, and I was unsatisfied with everything I did. I hated being around people, and I felt like nothing in my life made sense or happening the way I wanted it to. 

This was around the same time I saw a lot of people on the internet talk about how manifestations actually worked for them, and mind you, I never believed it before this. It really intrigued me, and I obviously was desperate for wanting things to happen my way, so I eventually gave in and started reading more about the law of attraction and the power of manifestations and affirmations. 

If I’m being very honest with you, not everything I manifested has come to me, but maybe it was because I didn’t do them seriously enough. The habits that I followed to manifest, however, made all the difference. 

Meditation corner/altar with candles, books, a plant, a fountain
Original photo by Meghan Buschini

I started my manifestation journey by learning how to meditate. (I know, I know, it sounds very cliché, but I promise it works.) I’m naturally a very distracted person and it takes the efforts of the whole world to help me concentrate, and so when I started meditating, I found that guided meditations from podcasts and YouTubers like Lavendaire really made it easy for me. It gave me time to relax and breathe, forget about everything else that was happening in my life, and just helped uplift my mood. The time I spent doing this was for me and me only; I didn’t need an outcome from this (which was very unlike me). It just helped me feel calm and composed

As opposed to complaining about the things that didn’t happen and the things I didn’t have, I was trying to be grateful for what I already had. The first time I did this, I took a piece of paper and started to list the stuff I was most thankful for. You’d be surprised how many things the average human really values if given enough thought. This not only helped me value and cherish my life, but also helped me overcome a negative mindset.

I wasn’t scared of failure anymore; I was okay with it! I accepted the fact that there are some things that are just out of my control, and I came to peace with it.

In order to really manifest something, intuition and confidence are kind of important, and that makes self-love a necessity to believe in yourself. Since I lacked positivity, I was feeding into a lot of self-doubt with the decisions I made, and being insecure with how I looked and the life I was living. I realized that if I didn’t give myself credit and trust my gut, I’d never be confident about the things I do. I felt much better and in charge of my life when I acknowledged my efforts and didn’t settle for less than what I was worth

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Rhea Malve

U Mass Amherst '22

Rhea Malve is a Her Campus contributor who is a junior at UMass Amherst majoring in Journalism and communication. She's an open advocate of feminism and equality. Her interests include baking, everything beauty, art history and culture.