How I’m Doing Online School, As an International Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

When I found out I would have to do college from halfway across the world, I was excited about the experience and wanted to see if it was possible. Turns out, it’s very difficult.

I live in Pakistan which is 10 hours ahead of Massachusetts, so when its 3 p.m. in Amherst, it is actually midnight for me. So when I have an assignment due at 11:59 p.m. its actually due at 9 a.m. for me which means that if I’m doing it last minute, I literally have to pull an all-nighter. This obviously gets so confusing and I have had multiple instances when I have completely forgotten about a deadline and have to ask for extensions. You’re lucky if you have an understanding professor who will give you one. 

Another difficulty I have found is that because I live with my family and I’m at home, I have family obligations and chores, so I have to be awake in the day as well. I wake up the latest by noon and my classes start at 8 p.m. and go on until 3 a.m. some days. Then I have to finish up schoolwork, homework, or quizzes if anything is due.

Different clocks from different time zones/cities
Photo by Pixabay from Pexels

Meetings are usually in the evening from 6-8 p.m. in Amherst, so I have to stay up until 5 a.m. at times just to attend a 10-minute meeting which is extremely tiring. I have had to get up at 3 a.m., look presentable (whatever that means) and sit in front of a camera, just to be done after a couple of minutes. I mean come on!

Additionally, 4 out of 5 of my classes are synchronous but I have been lucky enough to actually have very understanding professors this semester. Although I do stay up to attend lectures, exams are usually conducted in the evening. So 8 p.m. exams are actually 5 a.m. exams for me in Pakistan. You can imagine how much caffeine I need just to make sure my brain stays awake.

women with mug and laptop
Photo by Vlada Karpovich from Pexels

Although office hours are spread out (thanks to my professors), there are only a couple that actually works for me. Often the time conversion gets confusing for me and if I don’t make it to an office hour I have to make an appointment that works for both me and the professors. Confusion due to office hours happens a lot, especially when I have assignments due.

Working in a different time zone isn’t always too bad. When I have friends working for an assignment that is due at midnight, mine is due 10 hours later so if I wake up early, I can still submit it before its due. And obviously, being at home has its own perks. I get to be around my family and get to experience the best of both worlds!

Affaf Kashif

U Mass Amherst '23

Affaf is a sophomore majoring in Computer Engineering at UMass Amherst. She is an international student all the way from Karachi, Pakistan. Other than writing for HerCampus, she is a student government senator and also runs an instagram blog (@affafsworld). You can look forward to Affaf writing about lifestyle, tech and college life from half way across the globe!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst