timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How Her Campus UMass Has Helped Me Step Out of My Comfort Zone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I have been a member of Her Campus UMass Amherst for about a year now. Before college, I never saw myself as being a member of such a strong and empowering group. Being a member of HC UMass has taught me a lot about other women’s experiences and what it is like to interact with other collegiettes.

I have always had a difficult time finding groups to join because I tend to keep to myself and stay within my comfort zone. One of the most welcoming aspects of HC UMass is that there are so many collegiettes with similar goals but all of us have different backgrounds. Her Campus UMass has given me a new perspective of what it is like to have open conversation about ourselves with one another.

Another aspect that Her Campus UMass has to offer is the ability for us to write about our experiences and perspectives. HC UMass has given me a platform to step out of my comfort zone when it comes to writing. Writing for HC has given me the opportunity to step away from traditional academic writing and share my passions and stories. I have found it to be a great way for women to bond because we can read and share other members’ stories.

As the Secretary and Events Coordinator for HC UMass, I have been able to interact with the members. In a few of the past groups that I have been a member of, I have found that it was hard to do this. Her Campus UMass allows us to connect with each other and attend events or table together. Her Campus UMass has been a place where I can talk to and interact directly with other members, serving as its own community and not just an extracurricular club.

I write this article in hopes of reaching other collegiate women that may have a hard time joining groups and reaching out to a large group of people. After being a part of a few other online publication organizations, I have found that the sense of community at Her Campus UMass has let me step out of my comfort zone. Whether you are a freshman or junior, the diversity and openness of Her Campus allows all members to feel welcomed. Personally, Her Campus UMass has been the stepping stone to push myself outside of my comfort zone in social relationships, jobs and even in classes. I hope that if you need a friendly push out of your comfort zone, you find a community that allows you to do that.

Images: 1

Through her experience of living internationally throughout her childhood, Christi has firsthand knowledge of other countries, cultures, and religions. She is a Communication major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, and has been able to use her writing both in an academic and leisurely setting to spread cultural acceptance, awareness, and growth. Her favourite topics to write about include travel, feminism, politics and social life.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst