toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How Halloween Can Help the Survivors in Haiti

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

October is here and that means many things: midterms, sleepless nights of studying, delicious hot chocolate, apple picking, and Halloween!

Here in Amherst we have plenty of opportunities to go outside and have fun, but unfortunately, not everyone has it as good as us.

Recently, Category 5 Hurricane Matthew hit the Carribbean island nation of Haiti, causing powerful winds, massive rainfall, and tidal waves that swept communities. The hurricane left hundreds of thousands of homes and schools destroyed. According to the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), nearly 900,000 children have been affected by Hurricane Matthew’s deadly impact. Unsafe drinking water has also become a large problem in the country and has caused an outbreak of cholera, an infection that stems from unsafe food and water.

So while we’re at school writing our papers or designing our Halloween costumes, what can we do to help the survivors in Haiti?

1. Trick-or-treat!

Yes, it’s probably been a while since any of us have gone trick-or-treating, but go along with younger siblings or just spend the night getting free candy with your friends! There’s no shame in trick-or-treating, no matter what age you are. 

Before you hit the streets, order UNICEF trick-or-treat boxes from their website to ask for donations for Haiti while treating with candy. This way, you’ll be helping families in need while also helping yourself to chocolate.

2. Hold a Halloween raffle

Give away prizes like free treats, tickets to haunted houses, Halloween room décor, or trips to a corn maze. The proceeds from bidders can be donated to UNICEF or Save the Children.

3. Make Halloween DIYs

Sites like Etsy and RedBubble are great places to sell your art and projects online. Plus, room décor you DIY are perfect for the fall weather. They can yield donations to relief organizations which go directly to the survivors of the hurricane.

Have fun this Halloween, and remember to think of others while you’re out there. Happy Halloween!

Images/GIFs: 12345

Resist, insist, persist.   Dogless dog lover, aspiring person of importance. Perpetually lost between the worlds of Asia and America. But I like it here. And the food's good, too.   BC '20 
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst