This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It is no lie that online classes are a struggle. Many teachers have adjusted their classes to be asynchronous, which allows a lot of flexibility for students to do their work on their own time. On the outside, this schedule makes it seem like it would be nice to make your own schedule. I went into the semester confident that it would be easy to get my work done with an endless amount of time, but I found myself finding it very difficult to get the motivation to do my own homework and attend class lectures. I do not feel I am alone in these struggles, and so I have found some tips that have helped me, and that will hopefully help you too if you’re in the same boat.

Wake Up Early

I know this is a very hard thing to do when you have no strict schedule that is forcing you to get up, but sleeping in can set your day off to be unproductive. I will usually set my alarm and make myself think I have something to do so I can get up and start my day. Acting like you have something you need to be up for helps you to get up. 

woman stretching in bed
Photo by Bruce Mars from Unsplash

Schedule Your Week Ahead

My Sunday ritual has become a day to look at all I have ahead of me for the week and plan out when I will do everything. I will write out when I will wake up, workout, watch my lectures, eat, and do my homework. I make sure to include breaks and downtime so I do not feel drowned in nonstop work. Doing this has helped me get stuff done. Following a schedule helps me know what I need to be doing and actually accomplish it. 

weekly planner on a tablet
pexels.com

Check Off What You’ve Done

With my written schedule for the week, it always motivates me to check off the task once I have done it. It even helps to check off something as simple as waking up or eating. It allows you to look forward to checking off that next task. It also makes it apparent when you skip something, so it drives you to do everything on the list. 

Original Illustration Designed in Canva for Her Campus Media

Schedule Time to Get Out of the House

Online classes can be extremely draining when you are stuck in the same place all day. I have found myself more willing to do my work when I am out and about and not in my apartment all day. If you’re in the Amherst area, buildings like the ILC and the Campus Center are open, where there are classrooms and tables you can go to and get work done. And if you’re home, local coffee shops always have tables you can sit at. Even going on a walk or deciding to workout somewhere other than your home can be a beneficial change of environment. 

Brooke Cagle on Unsplash
In the reality of the pandemic, nothing is as easy as it once was. As students, online classes are a difficult change. It is definitely hard to adjust to such a flexible schedule with many asynchronous classes, but to put in the work to be the best student you can be, it is important to still get your work done. Hopefully, these tips can help you if you are struggling!

Jane Krumsiek

U Mass Amherst '23

Jane Krumsiek is a freshman at UMass Amherst studying communication disorders. She loves to spend time with friends and family, run, write and travel!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst