How to Get the Best Out of Having Colored Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Only 10% of the world is naturally blonde. Crazy right!? Whether it be blonde, brunette, black or red, there are a lot of us who have colored our hair either at a salon or in our own home. Dying your hair can be costly and damaging. Follow these tips to keep your mane healthy and looking natural each time you dye.

Box Dye:

Many of us have been guilty of using box dye to color our hair. It’s only 8 bucks! How could you say no?

• If you do use box color don’t overuse it. Trust me, I’ve learned the hard way. Coloring your whole head with box dye too often will dry your hair out and cause awful breakage. If your roots start to come in within 4-6 weeks, use the box dye but only on your roots and not the rest of your head.
  • Use an ammonia-free dye that is semi-permanent rather than permanent. Ammonia is the chemical that damages your hair.

At the Salon:

If you’re an avid dyer, I recommend going to a hairstylist who can give you the best color with healthier products. Not only do we want a nice color, we want to get it in the cheapest way possible! Save money at the salon with these tips:

If you use one overall hair color:

• Get your whole head colored your first visit, then for your next few visits only get your roots touched up. Also, keep getting it cut or trimmed to maintain the health.

If you use two or more colors (highlights/lowlights):

• Get a full-foil (your whole head highlighted) the first time you go, then your next few visits after that first one, only get a partial-foil (top half of your head highlighted). No one will be able to see your grown-out roots underneath your top layer of hair and you’ll be spending less money for a partial.

*When you visit the salon, make sure you ask the stylist to get as close to the root as possible as he or she is dying it. Some stylists will leave a little bit of your root showing so that it grows out quicker and you have to come back sooner and spend more money.

Shampooing/Conditioning:

• Most salon shampoos have less chemicals in them that dry out your hair compared to products you can find at a drugstore such as Garnier, TRESemme, and Herbal Essences. Ask your stylist for a shampoo and conditioner that protects your color or one that holds in moisture.
  • Use a leave-in conditioner after you shower. I recommend Paul Mitchell. It leaves your hair untangled and feeling soft.
  • Shampoo every other day. Your hair needs the natural oils it produces to keep your hair healthy. If you shampoo often, it doesn’t let those oils produce, leaving your hair too dry.

And remember Collegiettes, you should love your hair color, so let it express who you are and have fun with it. HCXO!

Brittaney Lynch

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst