How to Adopt a More Sustainable and Eco-Friendly Lifestyle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

In our current day and age, environmental consciousness is more important than ever before. With climate change on the rise, raising public awareness on the issue of environmental protection and preservation is a necessity. You might be thinking, what can I, as an individual, possibly do to help? Listed below are a few ways in which you can contribute by adjusting to a more sustainable and eco-friendly lifestyle. 

1. Consume less fast fashion. 

The first way to adopt a sustainable lifestyle is by ditching fast fashion and purchasing from ethical companies instead. By consuming from eco-conscious brands, you can minimize the damage done to our society and environment. Reformation and Vetta are among the many trendy and sustainable businesses that practice ethical means of production in hopes of minimizing the impact of the fashion industry on the environment. However, the best way to affect positive change in regards to clothing consumption is to upcycle your current closet or donate to/purchase from thrift stores. These pieces are always chic, timeless, and minimize the harm done to our environment. And let’s face it, who doesn’t want to save the Earth in a pair of vintage Levis?

thrift store clothing racks
Photo by Burst from Pexels

2. Stop/limit your meat consumption. 

This isn’t for everyone, but completely stopping or limiting your meat consumption has a tremendous impact on the welfare of our planet. Not only will this promote a healthier lifestyle, but it will actually promote a healthier planet too! The meat industry is a huge contributor to greenhouse gas emissions, so by supporting them, you’re directly supporting their unethical and unsustainable practices. In terms of food production in general, anything produced organically has more sustainable value than the alternative. 

3. Reduce water waste. 

In my experience, limiting unnecessary water use is easier said than done. However, I found that shortening my showers from 15 to 5 minutes was a great place to start! Other ways to reduce water waste are: not leaving running water unattended or unused, doing laundry only when there’s a full load, etc. Many environmental and societal benefits can be reaped when reducing water usage, including the minimization of droughts, the reduction of carbon emissions, and the prevention of pollution infecting our global water supply, among other things. 

4. Avoid single-use plastic. 

Most plastics aren’t biodegradable and end up in landfills or the ocean, causing harm to wildlife and the environment. Oftentimes, plastics also contain chemicals that can cause animals to become ill or injured. Single-use plastic can be easily substituted for reusable items such as straws, water bottles, etc. You can also utilize reusable containers instead of packing food in tinfoil, plastic wrap, and/or Ziploc bags. If you have no other alternative to single-use plastic, as many of us do on a college campus, recycle it!

glass bottles in Reusable bag
Photo by Polina Tankilevitch from Pexels

5. Recycle, recycle, recycle. 

I can’t stress this enough! The easiest way to participate in green activities is by recycling. By recycling, you’re ensuring that plastics and other harmful materials aren’t sent to landfills. It takes only a few seconds to sort your waste and in the long run, it will make a BIG difference. 

Ashley Rooney

U Mass Amherst '24

Ashley is a freshman studying political science and international relations at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She is considering a minor in journalism. Born and raised in Boston, MA, Ashley enjoys the urban life, but spends her summers working on Cape Cod, offering her a nice break from the buzz of the city. She is a coffee connoisseur, dog lover, and avid historical drama watcher.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst