Hooked! Reasons Why I Love and Encourage Crocheting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The COVID quarantine was certainly a time for discovering and enjoying new things, whether it was making friendship bracelets or learning how to draw. I found myself going from one thing to another until I landed on crocheting and fell in love; and I’m not the only one who is obsessed with it. All over social media, I continue to see those who enjoy it. Here are a few reasons why I think you might like crocheting, too.

It’s AN Outlet for Creativity

Over the past few years, I learned that painting, drawing, and other forms of artwork were not really my strong suit. This wasn’t really ideal when I had plenty of ideas, yet didn’t have the motivation to practice art and become good at it. Crocheting, on the other hand, was a much easier craft for me to pick up and practice. It made me excited to create more stuff, and the activity itself leads to endless opportunities in creating cool, new things. Just look at TikTok! There are plenty of videos that showcase what amazing projects can be made with yarn and a hook.

crochet tote bag
Original photo by Samantha Butts
Money, Money, Money

One of the downfalls of taking up this hobby is the amount of money you spend on it. Good yarn can be very expensive, depending on how it was made. Stores like Michaels, though, often sell it from $4 to $10. However, if you were interested in selling your work, it’s easy to profit off of crocheting. Oftentimes, a good piece of work can be sold for a higher price, seeing as a lot of money and time were put into making it. Not only that, but most people are willing to pay a higher set price for crocheted pieces.

Meaningful, Homemade Gifts

Everyone loves homemade gifts, and crocheting is one of the easiest ways to make that happen. A nice, simple hat only takes a day to make. Beyond gifts, though, it’s an easy way to make yourself something; a shirt, a purse, or even a coaster. Crocheting proves to be a useful skill and an enjoyable hobby. Maybe you could even make that sweater you were thinking of getting your dog — you know they’d love it!

Pride In Your Work

Another thing that I love most about crocheting is seeing what I’ve worked on come together. It’s exciting to appreciate something that I’ve spent time on, and it’s exciting to start the process all over again. I always find that I want to show what I’ve made to others. It’s definitely a confidence booster to complete a piece.

dog-red-sweater
CozyDogBoutique/Etsy
A Mental Health Booster

At the end of the day, I do find that crocheting has improved my mental health and decreased my stress. It’s an easy way to keep my mind busy and relax from a rough day. I can play music or put on a TV show, sit back, and focus on what to make next. Not only does it relieve any guilt I have from not being overly productive, but it’s also been shown to have many mental benefits, like reducing depression.

Maybe you’re looking for a sign to learn something new, or you have free time that you’d like to occupy. Either way, here’s some encouragement to pick up crocheting. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube or in books if you aren’t sure where to start, as well as going to in-person lessons. Many local yarn shops or arts and crafts buildings tend to have them. Hopefully, you’ll find that you love it just as much as I do!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Aili Byron

U Mass Amherst '26

Hi, everyone! My name is Aili. I am an English and Communication major at UMass Amherst, and a few of my favorite things include hiking, reading, and (as you can imagine) writing. If you are ever struggling to find me on campus, just listen for Taylor Swift, and I'm sure I'll be there ;)