Style > Fashion

Honest Met Gala Review As Someone Who Knows Nothing About Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Growing up, I always looked at models and what they wore down runways as a bit crazy. I never entirely understood why they were wearing what people would never wear in their day-to-day. So seeing the 2023 Met Gala, my jaw dropped, and I was never more confused. From cats to painted bodies — I was very confused. I thought I would give my honest review as someone who knows absolutely nothing that is going on in the fashion industry about how the Met Gala fits look to me.

Rihanna – I love Rihanna, don’t get me wrong, and when the top of the dress was around her arms, it looked amazing. The initial look with it over her head made her look like an egg. Egg – 5/10, Non Egg – 10/10

Lil Nas – Not quite sure where to start, but it is a statement for sure. The face is creepy to me, and everything is just a bit extreme for me to take it seriously. While he stayed in character all night, I am not a fan. 6/10

Cardi B – I don’t really love the suit-like top, but the dress was pretty. I think she should go with her original hair color and not silver. 9/10

Doja Cat– While I did learn that Karl had a cat, this was puzzling. The dress is absolutely gorgeous, but from the neck up, it is super extreme. 5/10

Pedro Pascal – Red is my favorite color, and I love his fit except for the shorts underneath. It looks to me like he forgot to get fully dressed. 7/10

Gigi Hadid – It reminds me of 2010 Avril Lavigne, very emo rock. Another person who is always gorgeous, but the outfit just puzzles me. 6/10

Jenna Ortega – While I am confused and would never wear this, I think it fits her serious Wednesday-like vibe. I think while I would never see this walking down the street, she killed it. 10/10

jenna ortega as wednesday
Netflix

Kendall Jenner – Being biased in the Selena Gomez vs. Hailey Bieber drama, I did not love her look. The body suit was cool, but the long sleeves made her look like a bat, and no one but Lil Nas’ butt should be out for the Met. 7/10

Kim K – Weirdly enough, while many people hated this look, I did not mind it. Other than the big jacket thing over her arms, I think the pearl look was very cool, and her hair and makeup were gorgeous. 9/10

Anne Hathaway – Another controversial one, but I think her confidence helped her rock this dress. I am not sure of the meaning or reason behind all the pins holding it together, but it looks stellar. 8/10

Jennifer Lopez – The top reminds me of something people would wear to a bar, and the bottom is just so different that it is a bit funky. Again with the long fabric draped behind her, very confusing and looks too mismatched. 5/10

Salma Hayek – The top reminds me of the red balls in a ball pit, but the bottom is gorgeous. If rating it as a whole on a scale of 1-10, I’d give it a 7/10

Aubrey Plaza – I love it all. The dress, the gloves, her attitude. It is a very elegant look and what I imagine to be at the Met Gala. 10/10

Bad Bunny – Love the suit. Hate the long trail of roses. While on the theme, it just looks heavy to pull around and does not add to the outfit at all. The open back of the suit is a spin on what is normally plain and boring, so I thought it was fun. 8/10

A$AP Rocky – I was confused at his outfit, and there was just too much going on, a kilt over bedazzled jeans? It reminds me of something I would wear from Justice in the 4th grade. Sorry A$AP. 4/10

While I did not get everyone, these were the looks that stood out to me and were circling my social media nonstop. As I said, I am not a fashionista, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. And at the end of the day, everyone looked phenomenal, even if they were a cat, egg, or anything in between.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Chloe Hopkins

U Mass Amherst '23

Chloe is a Senior at UMass Amherst majoring in Mathematics and is getting her minor in Education. Chloe is in the CTEP program at UMass to get her masters in Elementary Education. She loves animals and has her own black lab named Hero at home. Chloe loves to workout, write poetry, and go on hikes.