This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Home is where the heart is, right? As college students, we all have two towns that we think of as home and always hold as special places in out hearts: our college town and hometown.

Going to college for most people is a scary and life changing experience. You meet new people, form a new routine, and are on your own for the first time. Generally, you are at college for about 9 months of the year. You spend a substantial more amount of time here than your hometown. Even though you may have been nervous at first, it all starts to become comfortable. People always say your college friends are the ones that will be your friends forever, since they generally have the same interests and goals as you. They are the people you go though new experiences with, from failing your first college exam to scoring your first major internship. They are there, and they can truly feel for you and understand what is going on. These friends become family.

Your hometown is still your home, but sometimes it just doesn’t feel the same as it did when you were 18. You still know all the same back roads as you did in high school, and know where to slow down because a cop will be right around the corner. Things change and so do you. Maybe you have an internship in the city for the summer, or all of your friends from high school stay at their schools for winter break. When you’re all together, it feels like nothing has changed, but deep down you know it’s a different. Even though people have grown and times have changed, something about being their makes your heart full.

Your two homes are special in their own way; both unique and have their own set of great qualities. Wherever your career takes you, whether you take a job across the country, or even 20 minutes away, know that you can always call both of these places, home

Photos:1/2/3/4

Emma Crowley

U Mass Amherst

Emma Crowley is a Junior at UMass Amherst. She enjoys frozen yogurt, fashion blogs, the smell of fresh cut grass, and endlessly stalking One Direction 
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst