Home For Spring Break? Here Are 4 New Shows Everyone’s Streaming

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

With the semester flying by, spring break is quickly approaching. As vacation approaches, many people seem to be throwing their plans together to travel somewhere warm and escape the cold. However, if you’re finding yourself at home for spring break this year, have no fear – here are some new shows everyone’s streaming to binge in your spare time.

The Morning Show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA7D4_qU9jo

One of the frontrunners for Apple’s new streaming service, Apple TV+, The Morning Show stars Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon and Steve Carrell. For Alex Levy (Jennifer Aniston) anchoring The Morning Show, a popular morning program based in New York City with extremely high viewership, has defined her career and has given her the platform to make a difference in daily American lives. However, Alex’s co-anchor Mitch Kessler (Steve Carrell) is fired after a sexual misconduct case arises at the network. Alex then struggles to secure her status as a top reporter while clashing with her new co-anchor, field reporter Bradley Jackson (Reese Witherspoon), who is determined to report based on her intuition and impulsivity to report the hard truth to the people. Available for streaming here!

Locke and Key:

A supernatural horror series based on the comic series by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez, this story follows the Locke family and how their lives progress in the aftermath of the murder of their father, Rendell Locke. Following his death, Nina Locke (Darby Stanchfield) moves with her three children from Seattle to Matheson, Massachusetts into Rendell’s family home, the Keyhouse. Upon moving in however, the children discover a multitude of keys throughout the house that unlock different rooms and their magical properties – but they aren’t the only ones who are putting the keys into use. Streaming now on Netflix here!

Cheer:

The docuseries Cheer documents the training of the Navarro College Cheer Team from Corsicana, Texas as they prepare for the National Cheerleading Championship held in Daytona, Florida.  The team is led by powerhouse Monia Aldama, who has won 14 NCA National Championships in her time leading the team. The episodes describe cheerleading’s history, the foundation of the National Cheerleaders Association, and the stories behind some of the team’s key players. This series can also be found on Netflix, here

Miss Americana:

Although not a TV series, Miss Americana is a documentary following Taylor Swift and her career over the course of a few years. This documentary covers the making of Taylor’s albums Reputation and Lover, while taking viewers behind the scenes into life beyond her music. She opens up to the public for the first time about her battle with body dysmorphia and her eating disorder that she struggled with for many years in the beginning of her career. Swift also discusses her sexual assault trial and her mother’s cancer diagnosis. A large part of the documentary however draws the narrative of how high powered men in the music industry would instruct Swift to keep her political views to herself and to essentially ‘sit still and look pretty’ since she was ‘just’ an entertainer. In recent years however (and documented in this film) is her breaking her silence on her political views and how that decision came to fruition. This documentary can also be found on Netflix, here.

So while many people might be traveling this vacation, hopefully some of these shows prove themselves binge-worthy and make for an worthwhile, cozy break at home :)

kimmy schmit tv gif
Netflix / Giphy

Source: 1, 2, 3, 4

*All images courtesy of Her Campus photo database*

Samira Sayan

U Mass Amherst '23

Samira is the Pinterest Coordinator and a senior honors student at UMass Amherst, majoring in marketing and communications. Some of her passions are pop culture, music, and traveling. When she's not writing, you can find her hanging out with friends, binging her favorite TV series, or teaching/taking a spin class.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst