Holiday Gift Guide: Perfect Items for Under the Tree

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Gift-giving isn’t everyone’s love language, but boy, is it mine. While the holiday season is about spending time with family, watching some Christmas Hallmark movies, gratitude, and enjoying a big cup of hot cocoa, it is also about the presents that await you under the tree. Who doesn’t love unwrapping something from someone who knows you best?

First things first, what makes a good gift? Here’s my go-to checklist when shopping for gifts:

1. Is it personal?
  2. Is it unique?
  3. Will they use this?

There are so many incredible items on the market right now, which can make shopping feel super overwhelming. Answering these questions before hitting “add to cart” makes life just that much easier. It’s not even Thanksgiving yet and my Christmas shopping is already done, so I’m here to share a few of my gift recommendations for the loved ones in your life. 

For the mom in your life:

This can be your mom, your grandmother, your aunt, your partner’s mom; It doesn’t matter. In my opinion, this is the hardest person to shop for. It feels like they have everything, and they never ask for gifts, but they’re the one person who deserves all the gifts in the world. If your mom is anything like mine, she would rather a sentimental gift than a material item. I couldn’t recommend these two gifts more: a custom sketch of a home or a place that’s meaningful to the recipient and/or a casserole dish that’s customized with a transgenerational family recipe. Both of these gifts have definitely elicited some tears and won me some brownie points.

For the man in your life:

Again, let this be your dad, your brother, your partner, your uncle, any man that would enjoy a little spoiling this holiday season. Men have a habit of buying things they want, not things they need. A new Xbox system? Sure, no problem! Socks without holes in them? Ehhhh, can’t pull the trigger. My biggest tip for buying a gift for a man is to go all out with one item and then complement that purchase with things that slip their minds like socks, underwear and shaving cream. Golf club sensors have been all the rage lately and are an exciting way to up your golf game. They are a bit pricier, but are a fun way to spice up a snooze fest (AKA golf). You can also always gift a luxury walletduffle bag, or toiletry bag as an alternative to the golf sensors. 

For your little sister or best friend:

I have the most fun shopping for my sister and friends. You know what their style is, and what’s trending for girly-girls alike. Right now, I am obsessed with robes. Etsy has so many timeless vintage robes that I know my girls would love getting ready in. Trinket dishesjournals, and statement jewelry are always super cute gift ideas as well if you’re working with a college student budget. I also love gifting art to my friends who appreciate interior design. So many adorable sketches are sold on Etsy, and you can find a vintage frame at your local Goodwill to coordinate with their aesthetic. 

For your pet:

Being a dog mom is my personality and I’m not ashamed of it at all. You know my pup is waking up on Christmas morning with a stocking full of goodies and gifts with his name on it under the tree. There’s just something extra special about spoiling your pet. However, if you don’t personally have a pet, you could always buy these items for a friend whose dog is also the apple of their eye. Two words: dog bed. I would be over the moon if I received an upgraded dog bed, preferably one that is a bit more tasteful than my current one. If you have a cat, I suggest looking for a cute collar on Upcountry and spending a little bit more money on a cat tree

I hope you’ve taken some inspiration from the aforementioned items and feel more confident about searching for gifts after reading this article. Remember, you know your friends and family best so make sure to tailor your gifts to their personalities and needs. Before you know it, you’ll be the person everyone wants to get as a gift-giver at the annual Yankee swap.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Kiley Sullivan

U Mass Amherst '24

Kiley Sullivan is a senior journalism major with a minor in political science and a concentration in public relations. She is currently a celebrity and influencer marketing associate at Talent Resources. In her free time, she loves spending time with her dog, going to the beach, and binge watching Criminal Minds.