Hidden Gems: Best Cafes Off UMass Amherst Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

One of the best things about going to school at UMass is the food.  The food on campus is currently number 3 according to Princeton Review, and number 1 according to University Primetime.  What’s even better is the surrounding towns that also provide a plethora of amazing food options.  Don’t let time in Amherst pass by without exploring the options for cafés in the area.  These gems are perfect for escaping campus for a while (sometimes a Collegiette has to have a change of scenery) and are perfect for different spots to do homework or even catch up with a friend over coffee and scrumptious food. Here is just a sampling of a few of the best café’s off the UMass campus.

Bruegger’s Bagel Bakery

Bruegger’s is a personal favorite in the area. Located in downtown Amherst, they are best known for their bagels and they doesn’t disappoint (a personal favorite is the cinnamon-sugar bagels with a French vanilla coffee). There is plenty of seating and a must visit while being in the Amherst area.

Rao’s Café

Rao’s Cafe in downtown Amherst is a perfect study spot. Rao’s has a great selection of coffee and tea that can be ordered to eat there (or to go). It has an atmosphere that is very relaxed and does provide a perfect spot for spending time off campus.

Woodstar Café

Woodstar Cafe in downtown Northampton has food and coffee that doesn’t disappoint. This cafe provides great options for individuals who are vegan, vegetarian or gluten free as Woodstar labels the foods that are in these categories. Bring homework, bring a friend, or even go by yourself as this provides an incredible spot to relax. I highly recommend the large cookies (the peanut butter chocolate chip cookie is delicious).

Haymarket Café

Haymarket Cafe in downtown Northampton is another great spot for getting off campus. Haymarket has different juices and smoothies and even provides a breakfast, lunch and dinner menu. 

This is only a small sampling of the cafes that surround the area. Happy exploring, Collegiettes!

*All photos are credited to author

Emily Jette

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst