andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Hidden A**hole: Signs He’s Not The Nice Guy You Thought

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

We’ve all been there. Excitedly planning a date with the cute new guy who confidently approached you at the bar or maybe a party last weekend. Not all guys will put the time, money, or effort into taking a lady out for dinner or drinks, so when it happens we can’t help but get all giddy inside

Now fast forward a few months. Those butterflies you had not to long ago quickly turned into disappointment as you learned that his once confident and sexy demeanor was actually just a glimpse of his true egotistic, pompous attitude. It wasn’t until now that all the small questionable characteristics he showed here and there that you just brushed off as not important, were telling signs of his true personality

That’s right I’m talking about a new breed of men, the “hidden a**hole.” Don’t be fooled. Just because he doesn’t try to sleep with you on the first night, doesn’t automatically make him a nice guy.

Since this type of a**hole isn’t as obvious as the guys who don’t give you eye contact while shaking your hand or the guys who make demeaning comments to you in front of their friends, I’ve put together a few warning signs to watch out for. They may be subtle, but they’re there. 

1. When they send excessive selfies of themselves to you completely unprompted. Especially within the first 24 hours of meeting – RED FLAG. Clearly they are already in a relationship with themselves.

2. When they are constantly comparing themselves to other hypothetical guys, claiming that they’ll treat you so much better than anyone else could. If they have to tell you this instead of just showing you it could mean two things: a) It’s most likely not true, or b) They just want an excuse to talk about how great they are and how lucky you are to have found them

3. If they tell you the reason they are single is because 97% of the women they have met are “no good.” Any guy who categorizes women like that is bound to be the male version of a cat-lady. AKA, alone forever. I would also like to meet the women in his 3%.

4. They can’t compliment you without complimenting themselves at the same time. “You’re so beautiful… and I’m usually really picky.” 

5. If your girlfriends get bad vibes. Always listen to a woman’s intuition, especially if they’re your best friend. Sometimes opinions from a different perspective can be the most accurate. If your best friend from childhood say’s he a dweeb and not for you, she’s probably right. 

6. If they ever send you a text that resembles this one in any way… 

Yes, this is an actual text I received from a guy. You’ve never met a guy like you? Well that’s probably for the best because I dread the day I meet another guy as conceited as you.

Although we’ve spent our lives learning that, “confidence is key” (which I agree with) there is a very, very thin line between confidence and arrogance. This text is a prime example of a hidden a**hole. Bottom line, if you see any of these traits in a new guy you’re dating don’t just brush them off because they could ultimately lead to a similar text like the one shown above. Besides, when guys act so overly confident, they’re probably compensating for something, right?

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst