Here’s Your Sign to Invest in Yourself: My Top 5 Skincare Brands

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Self-care is a hard thing to motivate yourself to do. Some days, it can be extremely difficult to even get out of bed. However, don’t forget to treat yourself to self-care during those first steps of your day. Because every small win should be celebrated. If you want to feel better about yourself and more put-together, but don’t know where to start, allow me to introduce you to skincare. Investing in your skin not only gives you a radiant glow and helps to clear blemishes or discoloring, but it makes your whole persona glisten. Trust me, you’ll feel so much more refreshed and ready to conquer the day. Here are my favorite brands.

Fresh

Fresh is my go-to brand for deep moisturizers and creams. My favorite is the Rose Deep Hydration Face Cream, which smells amazing and has rose and hyaluronic acid to strengthen skin and lock in moisture while deeply and firmly hydrating. They also have a variety of night and firming creams, all made from natural ingredients. I also swear by their Soy Makeup-Removing Cleanser, which is so refreshing and feels great on my skin. Although the prices can be hefty, I’ve noticed an instant improvement on my skin after using Fresh, and you will too.

Skincare Herospng?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
The Ordinary

The Ordinary is my go-to brand for serums. I use their Lactic Acid 10%+ HA, which is a “high-strength lactic acid peeling formula for smoother, healthier-looking skin,” and their 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil serum, which is a “daily support formula with 100 percent high-purity, sustainably sourced, organic, cold-pressed rosehip seed oil.” These products are all 100% vegan and alcohol-free, which is important to me. I love the idea of knowing exactly what I am absorbing into my skin, especially considering how a lot of drugstore products are filled with artificial fragrances and rubbing alcohols with misleading advertising.

CeraVe

CeraVe is the holy grail for skincare if you don’t want to spend a lot of money but are still looking for high quality. I swear by their Foaming Facial Cleanser, which I see a lot of people using. This gentle cleanser is ideal for removing excess oil, dirt, and makeup. It features ceramideshyaluronic acid, and niacinamide to help restore the skin’s barrier, attract hydration, and calm the skin. They also have amazing daily moisturizers with built-in SPF to protect you from the sun. The most amazing part about CeraVe is that you can find it anywhere: Target, Walmart, or basically any large general merchandise retailer.

Skincare products are displayed on a floral background.
Original photo by Kate Green
Youth to the People

My favorite product from Youth to the People is their Superfood Kale Antioxidant-Rich Face Cleanser, which, just like it sounds, contains clean, simple ingredients to give your skin the ultimate cleanse. I mean, where else will you find a product that consists of cold-pressed antioxidants such as kale, spinach, and green tea? The brand also takes action with three funds — “To the People,” “To the Planet,” and “To the Future” — aiming to help poverty, youth, and climate while “creating a Future where our one planet and all our communities coexist, in just one world.” The brand also prioritizes environmental sustainability, which is a huge plus in my eyes.

youth to the people
Sephora
Drunk Elephant

Drunk Elephant is yet another brand that believes in the power of simple, yet strongly beneficial ingredients. Their philosophy statement includes that they never take into account whether something is synthetic or natural, instead choosing ingredients based on biocompatibility. They focus on healthy pH levels, formulations the skin recognizes, and small molecular structure that’s easily absorbed. The brand offers a variety of skincare, haircare, and body care, so you’re bound to find exactly what fits your personal needs. My favorite product is the D-Bronzie Anti-Pollution Sunshine Drops, which have omega-rich virgin marula and black currant seed oils, along with vitamin F, to give your skin a natural and bronzy glow without utilizing harsh chemicals. Drunk Elephant also prioritizes recyclable products, which once again, is a plus in my eyes.

I hope you decide to implement skincare into your life, as it has changed my life! As always, make sure you read ingredient lists before you purchase and are conscious of your skin type to accurately decide what works for you! Happy skincare!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Rachael Dionisio

U Mass Amherst '24

Rachael is a freshman Communication/Marketing major at UMass Amherst. She aspires to work in the media after graduation and loves working out, chai lattes and shopping.