Wellness > Health

Here’s Why You Should Do a 7 a.m. Spin Class at the Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Spin classes in general have been the key to structuring my days here at UMass. The gym may feel like an inconvenience at times, which makes having a designated time and space to go to every day so beneficial. At the same time, a gym full of college students can be terrifying and intimidating. Spin classes provide a judgment-free space to focus on yourself without feeling the presence of people watching you. Having to plan workouts also is a huge stress factor when it comes to going to the gym. Completing a workout without the stress of planning it is a game changer. 

Before coming to college, I felt like it was nailed into my brain not to take morning classes. I was told that I would miss them all the time, and regret taking them. I’m here to tell you that after two months of college, I advise you to do the complete opposite. My earliest class throughout the week is 1 p.m., and before that, I am so unproductive and lazy. In hindsight, this schedule sounds nice, but it has created a routine that was so hard to get out of. This fostered a routine of going to bed past 2 a.m., waking up at 11 a.m., and completing absolutely nothing from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Starting your day at 1 p.m. fosters such an unhealthy mentality. Feeling guilty and discouraged, I was never able to motivate myself to do productive things before my classes, and here is where 7 a.m. spin classes come in. 

Having something to motivate yourself to get out of bed in the morning is essential when it comes to waking up early. If you aren’t aware, the policy for gym classes is if you miss a certain amount of classes without unregistering within an hour, you get a strike. When you get a certain amount of strikes (I think either three or five), you’re suspended, meaning you cannot go to the gym without meeting with someone part of the gym staff and clearing your suspension. This whole concept is the largest motivator for getting yourself up for a 7 a.m. class. If your alarm is set for 6:30, and you already have a strike, you cannot miss that class unless you want to deal with being on the verge of getting suspended, which in all honesty is a pain in the butt. 

Being up early, showering, and eating breakfast while also having done something for yourself all before 9 a.m. is such a satisfying start to your day. If you’re like me and have only afternoon and night classes, I highly recommend doing 7 a.m. spin classes. This way not only do you complete all the things listed above early in the morning, but you also have time to do work/study before your classes. This routine has helped me for the better, and although it’s tough to completely realign your routine, it has made me feel like such a better person. 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Olivia Boyd

U Mass Amherst '26

Olivia is a sophomore at UMass Amherst studying communications and minoring in political science. Some of her passions include traveling, being active, trying new food, and watching sunsets. Growing up in Amsterdam, Olivia has traveled all across Europe and hopes to live there one day.