Here’s why I’m Obsessed with Netflix’s “Perfect Match”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you binge the entirety of new reality shows the moment Netflix releases them. The latest of these shows, Perfect Match, features iconic stars from Netflix’s most memorable reality shows. This includes the cast members of Too Hot to Handle, The Circle, Love is Blind, and more. While contestants vie to become the show’s one “perfect match,” couples who prove their compatibility have the power to manipulate other couples, leading to a whole lot of dating chaos. These singles mingle, flirt, and must pair with each other before the night ends, leaving people with no match to be eliminated. Then, the cycle repeats itself and more people enter the house, as the power shifts from women to men. 

One of the twists of the show is the drama from the “real world” making its way into the series. Prior to shooting the season, multiple contestants have hooked up before or have fractured relationships, both in terms of love and friendship.

Another aspect that makes this show endlessly entertaining is the way it merges a combination of strategic choices and silly challenges. At the same time, however, there are heartfelt moments in every episode. One of my favorite couples from the series is Chloe Veith from Too Hot to Handle and Shayne Jansen from Love Is Blind. The moment they met, they became one of the strongest couples through their instant connection. When Chloe’s recent ex-boyfriend joins the villa, Shayne is heartbroken and left behind. But after gaining closure, Chloe and Shayne recouple together again stronger than ever.

The unexpected bisexual representation featured in the show adds an aspect that is rarely seen on reality TV. The couples largely remain heterosexual but things shake up when Ines from The Circle: France decides to couple two women in the show, creating a bisexual coupling. Where reality TV predominately revolves around the love endeavors of straight contestants, Too Hot to Handle’s Francesa Farago is sent on a date with Twentysomethings star Abbey Humphries. Francesca is assertive and open about her sexuality, discussing it many times throughout the series, confident in her desire for sex, and hesitant about a closed relationship. In comparison, Abbey expresses she isn’t as self-assured in her sexuality, partially due to her past marriage and religious childhood. This representation is so important in counterbalancing the uneven rise of visibility for LGBTQ minorities.

Everything about Perfect Match sets it up to be a leading binge-worthy show. It’s perfect for reality junkies like me that can’t get enough of these shows. With the outlandish cast and the twists and turns, this show will have you on the edge of your seat.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Angie Oliynyk

U Mass Amherst '25

Angie is currently a sophomore at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. There, she studies management and is inspired by all things fashion and beauty! She enjoys listening to music, walking her dogs, and spending too much money thrifting.