Here We Go Again: My Favorite Parts of 5 Seconds of Summer’s Songs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I’ve been a fan of the band 5 Seconds of Summer for years and have listened to all their released, and some unreleased, songs. Here are some of my favorite parts of songs from a couple of different albums!

“Amnesia” (1:50-2:02) – self-titled

I remember first hearing this song and watching the music video in 2014. Even though it’s an older song, it’s a 5SOS classic and one that I could never get sick of. My favorite part of the song is the second pre-chorus. It’s the part of the song that I’m always singing as loudly as I can, and I love how it builds up to the chorus.

New York City
Original photo by Anumeha Rajvanshi
“Waste the night” (0:37-0:50) – sounds good feels good

Waste The Night. Honestly, the whole song could be my favorite part. It’s one of my favorite songs to play in the car, especially at night, with the windows down. My favorite part of the song is the pre-chorus; I love the way that Luke sings it. Similar to Amnesia, this is the part that I can sing the loudest.

“The Space between a rock and a hard place” (2:27-2:29) – sounds good feels good

This is another song off of Sounds Good, Feels Good, but B-Sides, even though it deserved to be on the album. This song is perfect for the summer and will always go on my summer playlists. Although this part isn’t sung, my favorite part is when Michael says; “Here we go again” in the middle of the song.

“Ghost of you” (2:35-3:12) – youngblood

“Ghost of You” is one of the most beautiful songs I’ve listened to. There’s so much emotion and pain poured into this. For me, everything about this song is perfect. My favorite part is at end, when it’s just Luke’s voice predominantly accompanied by the piano. I also love how they end the song with the lyrics, “That my feet don’t dance like they did with you.”

“lover of mine” (2:17-2:31) – calm

“Lover of Mine” is probably one of my all-time favorites of theirs. I went to a 5SOS concert this summer and it was the song I most looked forward to them playing, but unfortunately, they took it off the set list for my show. My favorite part is, once again, the pre-chorus. I think this pre-chorus, at 2:17, stands out the most to me because if you listen closely, you can hear Calum singing back up for Luke. I always look forward to this part when playing this song, and usually end up replaying it.

“You don’t go to parties” (2:26-2:30) – 5sos5

“You Don’t Go To Parties” is a song from their latest album, 5SOS5. This song was in my top 20 for Spotify wrapped even though it came out in September. This is another one of my top 5SOS songs. My favorite part is when Calum sings, And everyone I ever knew is standing in my house.” There’s just something about the way he sings it at that specific part that I’m obsessed with.

“Jet black heart” (0:12-1:16) – The Feeling of Falling Upwards (Live from The Royal Albert Hall)

Another song off of Sounds Good Feels Good, but they recently released a version from their live album, The Feeling of Falling Upwards (Live from The Royal Albert Hall). “Jet Black Heart” is one of my favorites and a fan favorite, especially since it’s predominantly sung by lead guitarist, Michael Clifford. My favorite part of this song in the live version is the beginning where the guitar is being played over and over and then it’s just Michael’s voice.

After 11 years…

After 11 years, 5 Seconds of Summer continues to be such a great band and release amazing music, and I can’t wait to see them on tour again this year!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Diane Da Silva

U Mass Amherst '26

My name's Diane Da Silva and I'm a sophomore at UMass Amherst majoring in English and Portuguese.