Looking For Some Good Eats? Here Are My New Favorite Restaurants to Try around Amherst!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

There are so many restaurants in the Amherst and Northampton area that even after almost four years at UMass, I am still somehow always finding new places to eat in the area. It’s a fun way to learn more about the town and those who live there but also a great way to support local businesses and try new food in the process. If you are looking for some new recommendations, here are some to check out:

Osaka

If you are looking for a good sushi and hibachi place, look no further than this Japanese restaurant located in Northampton. They have a wide array of options for sushi, hibachi, rice, and noodle dishes. Sitting by the hibachi section and watching your chef make your food in front of you is so fun, especially going with a group of friends. I personally recommend the “Osaka Spicy Noodles” and the bento boxes! I even got to try traditional sake for the first time!

Lili’s Restaurant

This little family-run restaurant has to be one of my favorite Chinese restaurants in the area. They are popular for their hand-made noodles served with your choice of protein and sauce. I personally love their dumplings, scallion pancakes, and fried rice too! The restaurant is also super college budget friendly with great portion sizes.

Bueno Y Sano

My substitute these days for a Chipotle bowl is a Bueno Y Sano bowl! The bowls are really filling, taste fresher, and are overall just more flavorful. The burritos and quesadillas are also a fan favorite to order at the restaurant, my favorite being the steak & mushroom quesadilla. They also have a branch in Northampton that I have yet to explore.

India House Restaurant

Whenever I am in need of some comfort food, I usually crave Indian food. This family-owned restaurant in Northampton is a great place for dinner. If you are a spicy food lover, this is the place to go. They have a wide menu of appetizers, curries, biryanis, and desserts to choose from. They also have tons of options that are vegetarian and vegan-friendly! They have outdoor seating too so that you can enjoy your food in the lovely weather to come in the next few months.

Johnny’s Tavern

In need of some American-Italian tavern food? Then Johnny’s Tavern is the place for you! The menu has great options for burgers and sandwiches, entrees like salmon and steak, and a wide variety of pasta dishes! I tried the chicken pesto pasta which I could tell was made from hand-made pasta and homemade pesto, and the truffle fries for an appetizer was a great option! The restaurant isn’t the most budget-friendly, but the portion sizes are big and filling for the price. They give you a bread basket while you wait for your food and have a wide variety of drinks from their bar.

There are so many options to eat out in Amherst and Northampton, but these are the ones I have had the opportunity to try recently and have loved them! I’m excited to try out a lot more restaurants before I have to say goodbye and graduate soon. I hope this list helps you find a new place to try out – Happy feasting!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!  

Anushka Myndapanda

U Mass Amherst '23

Anushka is currently a senior and majoring in Mathematics and Psychology. She loves to spend time with family and friends, reading books, staying active, and is passionate about climate change and sustainability.