Money 30 micheile henderson lZ 4nPFKcV8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money 30 micheile henderson lZ 4nPFKcV8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Her Story: I Was On A Game Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Five, four, three, two, one.

A lot can change in five seconds. All it takes is one decision, however insignificant it may seem at the time, to completely affect you for the rest of your life. A powerful statement that can either deter you away from taking a chance with an uncontrollable outcome, or encourage you to embark upon an endeavor that could result in something great.

I like to run the risk factor. If it does not put my health or sanity in danger, I often find myself asking, “why not?”

I spent the last summer interning at a major news station right in Boston. While performing my normal intern duties at my corner desk surrounded by moving racks of news-tapes, my eyes were occasionally drawn to the TV across the room. I noticed a commercial of a man on the balcony of our own studio room advertising for an open casting call. 

After three months of working with news that consisted of old Boston mob bosses and young athletes gone astray, this tease on TV definitely grabbed my attention.

My supervisor and I were intrigued and found ourselves reading all the small print we could find online that day. The rules for Million Second Quiz were very confusing and, to be honest, I didn’t really understand how the show worked. All I knew was that it was trivia, you could win up to 10 million dollars, and auditions were the next day located right across from Fenway. 

That night I downloaded the app that accompanied the show. Each question only gives you five seconds to answer. Five seconds is an incredibly short time even when you do know the answer.

However, when I came across the question, “What type of cheese is typically on a Greek salad?” That’s when I knew I had to go. I love cheese. And I love salad. I could win! Granted not all of the questions were nearly that easy, and I assumed they would be much harder on the show, but I just had a “why not?” moment. 

[pagebreak]

Despite my best efforts to convince one of my girlfriends to tag along I just decided to brave it on my own. Upon arrival, I had to fill out more information including ten fun facts about myself. Of course when you’re trying to make yourself seem fun and exciting the only fun fact you can think of is, “I have a lot of allergies.” I texted almost everyone on my contact list that day, only to find myself laughing at my phone with the responses I received.

In between filling out paper work I couldn’t help but notice the types of people waiting in line around me — or should I say “type” of person: middle-aged guys mostly in the field of electronics and/or computers.

One guy, on the younger side, mentioned that he had been on Jeopardy before and won $20 grand. I looked at him with envy and said, “I would buy so many shoes. What did you spend it on?” He went on to explain he put most of it away, but used a hefty chunk for a new computer. That’s when I contemplated if I really had a chance.

I stayed and competed in my six minute interview session with three other people. It was a series of questions we had to answer in a timely manner, selling your bright trivia mind while, of course, winning the casting directors over with your TV-ready personality. The whole morning process lasted about four hours and then I was done, or so I thought. I ended up getting a call later that day asking if I wanted to come in the next day for a call back on-camera interview. With no hesitation, I said, “What time?”

The follow-up interview consisted of about a half hour of elaborating on my fun facts, making my best quick-witted jokes and giving exclusive details about what I would do with the money. The casting director said he loved me and gave me an “A.” I continuously checked my email for the trivia quiz link he promised to send me, as well as my phone for missed calls hoping I would hear back from someone. But as September 9th, the live television premier, approached I figured my chances of buying infinite amount of shoes were slowly decreasing.

[pagebreak]

When I came home from school in early September my sister and brother-in-law, who were avid watchers of the show, told me it was probably for the best I didn’t make it to NYC for the big leagues considering not only did they ask tough questions but it was also a test of endurance as the contestants competed 24/7. 

Ironically, two days later, on an average Sunday afternoon, I received a phone call from a New Jersey area code. I suspiciously answered only to hear, “Hi this is Melissa from Million Second Quiz, and we just wanted to see if you wanted to come to New York City on Wednesday and possibly win some money.” I was confused considering the game show ended on Thursday but I disregarded the logistics and said, “um yes please.”

When they offered to fly me down if driving was completely out of the question, I of course took the offer. 

Next thing I knew I was leaving Amherst Monday night and boarding a plane to NYC by Tuesday morning. My dad bought a last minute ticket to accompany me so I wouldn’t have to wander my way through the big apple alone.

When we arrived in Newark, N.J, there was a car waiting for little ol’ me to bring me to my complimentary hotel. I felt like a game show celeb. We then got to spend the rest of the day and night exploring NYC. Considering it was my first time, we felt obligated to do everything touristy we could think of. 

Wednesday was the big day. I arrived at the studio at 9am sharp. After the necessary informational video and packet in which you sign all of your rights over, I was guided to the “playing room.”

No it wasn’t like the playing room of Mr. Christian Grey, it was much more G-rated. All of the contestants were brought to a 24/7 competing area. They distributed tests that would “determine” the six names or so that would then get to move on to the next round. About every 2 hours, only a few names were called.  The rest of us entertained ourselves in the meantime with the computers supplied for the endless hours we expected to spend in the window-less and bathroom-less room (port-a-potties were supplied).

There was a wide variety of people there from teachers, to candy store owners, to financial brokers from Wall Street. Then there was me, the college girl with only 20 years of “life experience,” making me one of the youngest by far. After about three rounds of not hearing my name called my friend who had been entertaining me for the day said he would most likely leave after the next round. Considering it was already about 5pm, I was getting ready to give up as well. 

[pagebreak]

My name was finally the very last name called.  After your name is called they immediately confiscate your phone, and your connection to the outside world is completely cut off. I couldn’t even tell my dad that I made it! We were brought to this room with about 15 other people where our only source of entertainment was each other. I learned a lot about complete strangers who I would most likely never see again.

After a few hours you could tell we all had a minor level of cabin fever starting. People naturally paired off in twos or threes to discuss game strategies and what not. I felt like I was on Survivor right before the voting ceremony.

I didn’t leave the building until about 11pm when we were individually brought to the trailers outside to have our picture taken. Then it was back to the isolation room.  It was now 2am and my turn was finally up. Although I had spent the entire day breathing re-circulated air and telling strangers about my personal life, I was ready.

Obviously I competed against the girl I had be-friended in the isolation area. She was in the “money chair” where you win $10 for every second you last. Crazy, right? All I had to do was win the round to steal the money chair from her, then beat every single person after that to win enough money to put me in the final four. 

Basically, about a 1 in 300,00 chance to actually win money on this show! I didn’t end up beating her, and the guy after me stole her seat in the money chair. My journey had ended just as fast as it started.

I walked away the same broke college student as I entered but gained an awesome story. It’s crazy to think how things can change from a moment’s decision. It took me five seconds to decide to stay on the Green-line to Fenway Park that August morning. In that five seconds I ended up with a free trip to NYC and an experience of a life time. Not to mention, now I’ll always have a “fun-fact” in the future.

Photo Source: 1, 2, 3, 4. Rest taken by author.

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst