This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Randayln Hill

Fueling Your Passion and Your Body 

As a runner, you want to include proteins and healthy fats in your diet. Protein should consist of 15% of your diet. Foods such as chicken, fish, nuts, and eggs contain high levels of protein. This is essential for building muscle mass. Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats (healthy fats) should make up 25% of your diet. This is where you’ll get your energy boost. Olive and canola oils, fatty fish, and nuts are great sources of this essential nutrient. Remember to maintain a balance and nourish your body. It will keep you going as a runner. 

Healthy eating doesn’t have to be boring. Here are some of my favorite recipes that you should try! 

Honey Energy Bars

Ingredients:

• 2 large eggs

• 3 tbsp honey

• 2 tbsp canola oil

• 2 tsp grated orange zest

• 2 cups granola

• ⅔ cup roughly chopped walnuts

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.

2. In a bowl, lightly whisk the eggs.

3. Whisk in the honey, oil, and zest.

4. Stir in the granola and walnuts. Mix until thoroughly combined.

5. Spread the mixture in the baking pan and bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown and set.

6. Cool for 10 minutes before cutting into 9 squares.

7. Store tightly covered in the refrigerator. Makes 9 squares.

Banana Protein Pancakes 

Ingredients: 

• 1 cup oats

• 2 tbsp chia seeds 

• ½ cup egg whites 

• 1 ripe banana

• 1 tsp vanilla extract

• ¼ tsp baking powder

• ¼ tsp salt 

• 2 tbsp vanilla protein powder 

Instructions:

1. In a blender, mix all of the ingredients together until combined and smooth.

2. Preheat griddle to medium-high and spray with cooking spray.

3. Using a tablespoon, scoop pancake mixture on the pan so it forms a medium circle (use about 2 heaping tablespoons for each pancake).

4. Cook for 4-5 minutes on the first side or until edges start to harden and bubbles start to form on the surface.

5. Flip and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes on the other side.

6. Top with sliced banana, peanut butter, chocolate chips, coconut, and maple syrup, if desired.

Creamy Mushroom Chicken 

Ingredients:

• 4 tsp olive oil, divided

• 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved lengthwise (cutlets)

• 1/2 cup diced shallots

• 16 ounces mushrooms

• 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme

• 1/2 cup dry white wine

• 1/3 cup half and half or cream

Instructions:

1. Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.

2. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and add them to the skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes and then flip and cook on the other side until they’re cooked through.

3. Put the chicken breasts onto a plate and cover them with a piece of foil to keep them warm.

4. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil into the skillet. Add in the shallots, mushrooms, and thyme and sauté for several minutes until they’ve softened.

5. Pour the wine into the skillet and use a wooden spoon to scrape up all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.

6. Lower the heat to medium-low and stir in the half and half. Taste for seasoning.

7. Bring the sauce to a simmer and then add the chicken back in.

8. Coat the chicken with the sauce and garnish the top with chopped thyme and parsley. Serve immediately.

Pasta with Peas and Prosciutto 

Ingredients: 

• 1 box (1 pound) cavatappi or other spiral pasta

• 1½ cups fresh spring peas

• 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil

• 2 minced garlic cloves

• ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, or more to taste

• ½ cup grated pecorino or parmesan cheese

• Juice of ½ lemon

• 4 ounces (about 8 thin slices) prosciutto, torn into bite-size pieces

Instructions:

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt it and add the pasta and cook according to the package directions.

2. Two minutes before the pasta is cooked, add the peas.

3. Heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until slightly browned.

4. Reserving ¼ cup of water and drain the pasta and peas in a colander.

5. Add the peas, pasta, and reserved cooking water to the skillet, toss and heat through for about 1 minute.

6. Add the pepper, cheese, and lemon juice and toss to combine.

7. Serve the pasta in shallow bowls and place the prosciutto over top, letting the heat from the pasta warm the meat.

Why It Matters

As someone who is in love with the long run, I’ve learned that food is truly your fuel. Undereating or eating foods that don’t have the right nutrients can make you feel sluggish and less motivated, and it won’t support you on your journey long-term. Once you find fun recipes like these, healthy eating is more enjoyable. You will be consistent and proud of yourself, as I have become. 

Woman running with a sunset in the background
Image by skeeze from Pixabay

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4

Mackenzie Kelly

U Mass Amherst '23

Mackenzie Kelly Sophomore Marketing & Legal Studies Major Loves hiking, running, and painting
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst