Haven’t Watched “Abbott Elementary”? You Need To.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Are you a fan of sitcoms? How about mockumentaries? Most importantly, are you looking for something new and fresh to binge-watch? If your answer to these questions is yes, then Abbott Elementary is just what you need to get you through this final stretch of winter.

Showcasing a diverse cast and relying on a wholesome, yet simultaneously thought-provoking premise, this television show elevates the mockumentary sitcom genre to a new level. Created, executively produced, written by, and starring Quinta Brunson, Abbott Elementary addresses the legitimate challenges in the American public school system in a charming and hilarious way. In each 20-minute episode, the six main characters, including five devoted teachers and one inept principal, navigate daily struggles in their underfunded, inner-city elementary school, located in Philadelphia. 

Brunson leads the cast as Janine Teagues, an ambitious, idealistic, and overly-positive second-grade teacher. Fans on Reddit drew similarities between Brunson’s character and Leslie Knope of NBC’s Parks and Recreation (2009-2015), played by Amy Poehler, when Brunson posted a photo of the two actresses together. The show begins with Janine in her second year at Abbott. Also in his second year is Janine’s co-worker and sidekick Jacob Hill, a history teacher played by Chris Perfetti. Jacob tends to walk the line between confidence and arrogance as he seeks to become a more culturally-competent educator. Teaching second grade alongside Janine is Melissa Schemmenti, played by Lisa Ann Walter (many Gen Z viewers may recognize her from her role as Chessy in The Parent Trap). Melissa is Philly through and through, and her no-nonsense attitude contrasts harshly with Janine’s bubbly personality. The two are a perfect duo to lead the second grade.

quinta brunson emmys 2022?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Photo by Danny Moloshok/Invision for the Television Academy/AP Images

Other teachers include kindergarten veteran Barbara Howard (Sheryl Lee Ralph) and long-term first-grade substitute Gregory Eddie (Tyler James Williams), who is brand-new to the school. Barbara serves as Abbott’s role model teacher and prides herself on her rigid virtuous principles. As the show progresses, however, Barbara softens up and learns how to connect with the younger teachers around her. Gregory follows a similar trajectory, initially unhappy with his teaching position because he studied to become a school principal. With Janine’s guidance, he falls in love with first grade and embraces his job. Rounding out the main cast is principal Ava Coleman (Janelle James), my personal favorite character. Ava is portrayed as just incompetent enough to get by without being fired, and her position is one she obtained by blackmailing the district’s superintendent (more on that in the first episode).

The show is well-executed and doesn’t rely on child actors too heavily. Instead, plotlines are centered around the adults, highlighting their individual and group efforts to provide the highest quality education possible to the students of Abbott Elementary. Having already received several accolades after just two seasons, including Emmys, Golden Globe awards, and Critics’ Choice awards, Abbott Elementary is poised to be one of the most critically-acclaimed comedy shows in recent years. Additionally, the show was renewed for a third season last month.

So, while you have plenty of time to enjoy this program, I recommend you get to it ASAP. Abbott Elementary airs on ABC on Wednesdays at 9:00 p.m. Stream the show on Hulu or HBO Max.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Grace Bertagna

U Mass Amherst '23

Grace Bertagna is a sophomore at UMass Amherst studying Spanish and Sociology. She enjoys painting, practicing yoga, cooking, and playing ice hockey.