This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Hello fellow UMass Collegiettes™! Finals week is just around the corner. I don’t know about you, but even thinking about the amount of work I have to do is almost as stressful as actually doing it! It feels like everything is piling up at once. The thought of getting everything done on time can seem pretty much impossible. Fear not, ladies – here are some helpful tips to help get you through finals week without feeling insane:

1. Make a schedule.

If you have a planner, use it! Try to plan your finals week schedule ahead of time so that you can be sure you are able to study and get everything accomplished on time. Make sure to focus on due dates and exam times so you can prepare ahead of time. It’s never a good idea to try to cram too much information into your mind in a short time frame, because you probably aren’t going to remember that much of it. Staying focused and planning ahead will keep you on schedule and make it much easier for you to complete you work!

2. Get rid of any and all distractions.

Turn off your cell phone, turn off your iPad, stay off social networking sites, and focus on whatever it is you have to accomplish. Sometimes studying at home can be a distraction. Going to the library or a quiet place like Starbucks can help keep your mind on the right track! It’s important to remove yourself from any distractions so you can focus on what’s important. The more you focus now, the more time you will have to do fun stuff later.

3. Back up your work.

Always save your work! The worst thing is to wake up the day a paper is due and realize that you never saved it and then your computer crashes. Google Drive or Drop Box are “clouds” that you can use to save your work, and you can access them from any computer or device. It’s a great solution to prevent losing assignments, since you don’t have to just rely on your computer. You can access it from anywhere!

4. Schedule some “You” time

It’s super important to set aside some time for you. Whether it’s taking an hour to watch your favorite TV show, or going out to dinner with some friends, or even just browsing Facebook for a while, downtime is essential if you want to keep your sanity during such a stressful time! And if you can’t spare that much time, even a 5-minute break is helpful. Taking breaks will give your mind a chance to clear, and you’ll be able to start studying again with renewed energy. 

5. Eat Healthy & Exercise

Eating well is really important during stressful times when you need extra brain power. Fresh fruits and vegetables are easy to prepare, and are high in fiber. It’s easy to slip an apple or a banana into your bag and eat it on the go, and healthy foods keep you feeling fuller longer. But remember to not to skip meals, even if you feel like you’re too busy to eat. If you’re hungry, you’ll be less productive and won’t be able to concentrate. In addition to eating healthy, working out will keep you active and productive, but will also give you that little break from studying to get your mind off of all the work that you need to do! Even if you don’t have a lot of time a quick 15-minute run can do the trick.

6. SLEEP!

Sleep is extremely important! You need to get between 7 to 8 hours of sleep to stay on track. Sleep deprivation leads to things like memory loss, inability to concentrate, headaches, and increased stress levels. You definitely want to avoid those during finals week!

Happy Studying Collegiettes™!

Kelsey Rowland

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst