A Guide to Maximizing Your Study Breaks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It’s that time of the semester again, when assignments start piling up and tests become a part of your daily routine. Although we’d all like to plan ahead to be perfectly prepared for that elusive midterm, we know that it is not always a realistic goal with all the other homework that must be attended to. This leads to one or two inevitable “all nighters” right before the big test. Here are a few things to do during your short study breaks that can help keep your brain fresh and ensure that you get the most out of your study time!

Yoga

Whether you’re an experience yogi or someone who has just seen yoga on TV, doing some simple yoga poses during your study break can be a great way to rejuvenate not only your brain, but your entire body. Yoga is focused on bringing the body and mind into sync. This sounds like it would do nothing but good things for your study habits, no? Do a few downward dogs or cat poses and you will instantly feel relief. As your muscles stretch, think about how well you’re going to do on your exam! This optimism coupled with yoga’s meditated breathing will relieve some anxiety and help you power through several more hours of studying.

Dance Party

A louder alternative to yoga is the dance party! Dancing is one of the easiest ways to reduce stress, especially if it’s crazy silly dancing with your best friends. Make a pact with your study partners that when you start to lag, you’ll throw on Britney’s newest song and let it all out! Find a floor in the library where nobody else is studying and break out the robot. After a little bit of craziness, you’ll have let out enough energy to sit back down and be able to focus.

Have some brain food

Studying gets harder and harder when your stomach is begging you for food. Though you may be on a roll, taking a break to eat is one of the most important things you can do while studying. Take a few minutes to munch on some “brain food.” Blueberries are my favorite brain food because they’re yummy and studies have shown that they do in fact improve your learning capacity. Nuts and seeds are also a good choice for a snack while studying because of their health benefits as well as how easy they are to pack and eat! Avocados are also an awesome food for studying because their mono-saturated fat is known for contributing to healthy blood flow. More blood flow means a healthier brain that will be ready to study even harder than before.

Taking breaks is just as important as studying itself, just be sure that you are maximizing the limited time you have! Make each break count. Good luck on your midterms, collegiettes!

Amanda MacEachern

U Mass Amherst

Amanda is a political science major at UMass Amherst. She is a proud member of Sigma Kappa sorority. Amanda loves dancing, whether it be classical or just a fun dance party with friends. She's currently obsessed with monograms, bikram yoga, and Pinterest.