A Guide to the Best And Worst Bathrooms of UMass

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It is no secret that on our gigantic campus there are lots of buildings—some new and some old (the University Club was built in 1728 and is the oldest house in Amherst). It only makes sense that these varying buildings look drastically different inside. Classrooms can be tiny with the heat cranked 24/7 (Bartlett) or they can be large and equipped with the latest technology (new Integrated Learning Center), but when nature calls, the only thing us Collegiettes care about is what the bathroom looks like. Here is a list to guide you to the best and help you avoid the worst bathrooms on campus:

BEST: Integrated Learning Center

Since this is the newest building on campus, it is a no-brainer that these bathrooms make the top of the list.

WORST: Stockbridge Hall 

This building was built in 1915 and I’m not sure anything has changed about the bathroom since. Wooden stalls in a dark, little room is not the ideal public bathroom experience. 

BEST: Recreation Center 

These bathrooms are always clean with roomy stalls and automatic paper towel dispensers instead of useless old hand driers.

WORST: Machmer Hall 

Good luck actually finding the bathrooms in this building and once you do be ready for disappointment.

BEST: Integrated Science Building 

Since this building is also fairly new, these bathrooms are clean and not overused leaving you with a pleasant bathroom experience.

WORST: Bartlett Hall 

Home to the urinal-shaped toilets and graffitied stalls, Bartlett’s bathrooms are sure to leave you feeling skeevy.

BEST: Student Union

With the wonderful full length mirror and long line of stalls that are frequently not in use, the student union bathrooms are great and centrally located.

WORST: Herter Hall 

Taking last place is Herter. The bathrooms are just as bad as Bartlett’s…plus a wait. There are only two usable stalls on each floor and you’re guaranteed to get toilet paper stuck to your shoe.

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Hey everyone! My name's Kelly Tierney and I'm a Senior here at Umass Amherst majoring in English and minoring in Education.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst