A Guide to the Artists of UMass Spring Concert 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

This year Spring Concert is Sunday April 13th and is featuring Wale, Slightly Stoopid, and the Goo Goo Dolls.  As the excitement for a concert at Mullins Center builds (there haven’t been many concerts at Mullins this year), it is the perfect time to get excited about the artists performing and learn more about who they are.   

The Goo Goo Dolls

The Goo Goo Dolls got their start in Buffalo, New York and released their first album in 1987 called the Goo Goo Dolls.  The band is made of up of John Rzeznik, Robby Takac and Mike Malinin and they are best known for their star song “Iris” released in 1998 (it is still a classic today!). The other singles that have been released include “Name,” “Black Balloon,” “Slide,” and “Come to Me.” This summer they are on tour with Daughtry and Plain White T’s, and will be returning to Boston to perform on August 15th at the Blue Hills Bank Pavilion.

Slightly Stoopid

Slightly Stoopid got their start in San Diego, California in 1995.  They released their first album titled Slightly Stoopid in 1996 and describe their music as a combination of rock, reggae, blues, hip hop and metal. They have ten albums total and are best known for “This Joint,” “2 AM,” “Wiseman” and “Collie Man.” Slightly Stoopid is on tour this summer and will return to the Boston on July 31st to the Blue Hills Bank Pavilion with Stephen Marly, G. Love and Special Sauce. 

Wale

Wale is the rapper of the Spring Concert and got his start beginning around 2006. The Washington D.C. native is well known for songs “Chillin,” “No Hands,” “Bad,” “LoveHate Thing,” “Lotus Flower Bomb,” “Clappers” and “The Break Up Song.”

Spring Concert will be at Mullins Center Sunday April 13th starting at 6:00pm. Have fun, Collegiettes!

Emily Jette

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst