Wellness > Mental Health

Growing Up In A Family With Opposing Political Views And How To Handle It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

No matter what, growing up and gaining your own perspective on certain topics can be difficult. Starting all the way back in middle school, it is super easy to follow the “norm” and do what everyone else does—whether it be a fashion style or even just an after school activity. As you grow older, you come to realize that it doesn’t matter as much if you have an opposing viewpoint as someone else. Everyone is different, and if someone cannot accept that, then maybe they are not supposed to be in your life! However, a more controversial topic that can drive a lot of families apart is their political affiliation.

trump speaking at rally
Photo by Gage Skidmore from Flickr

My family consists of me, my mom, my dad, and my older brother. All three of them are conservative Republicans, which could not be further from my viewpoint on politics. I’m not sure where it comes from, maybe it was just the society in which I grew up with, but my family and I just do not see eye to eye on most issues. But in the height of the approaching election and 2020 being a whirlwind of political emotions, I’m here to remind you that it is ok to view things differently from other people, including your family. 

Dinner conversations can definitely be tough. There’s no denying that things don’t get awkward, but maybe that is where boundaries should be set. It’s one thing to have your own opinion, but trying to change someone else’s or force your views on someone else is not acceptable. If your family members are all mature and open enough to have a decent conversation about politics and respect each others space without screaming and arguing, then go for it. But if this is not the case, you should find other people to express your political beliefs to. For example, maybe dinner time with your family should be about catching up on your day rather than the upcoming election. If you want a conversation that will satisfy you, maybe talk to your friends about politics if they have the same belief system as you.

I’m not saying that debating is a bad thing, it surely isn’t. But you do need to ensure that the people you are debating with are as open to new ideas as you are.

Time with family should not be ruined by political views and interests. Your family will always be your family, and it gets tougher as you get older to not bring up these issues…as it does affect your everyday life and will continue to as you age. I think that being in 2020 with a controversial president draws upon a whole other argument, as people can be Republican but still absolutely despise President Donald Trump. In any scenario, being able to maturely talk about your thoughts and beliefs is the most important thing. 

At the end of the day, having respect for those around you (as long as they respect you back) is something I will always abide by, and I hope you do too.

Joe Biden smiling at outdoor event
Photo by Gage Skidmore from Flickr

Victoria Tustin

U Mass Amherst '22

Tory is a senior here at UMass Amherst. She is currently a Journalism major with a Spanish minor, and has a passion for writing just about anything!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst