Gratitude on a Budget: Ways to Share Thanks Without Breaking the Bank this November

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As the leaves shift colors and the fall breeze whips through the air, students and Collegiettes at UMass enter into the month of November. This means one thing: you can’t wait for Thanksgiving break! But before break hits, make the most out of this month that celebrates gratitude. Here’s how to show thanks to those who matter most this November without breaking the bank.

1. Family

Any act of reaching out to family is guaranteed to make their day. So, even if it’s the brief in-between classes on your walk from Northeast to Central, simply dial mom and dad. So often as college students, we’re so busy that we forget to reach out to those most important to us. Make it your intention to move the conversation away from you and your current struggles with adulting and instead, simply show thanks by taking time out of your day to ask about home and genuinely care about what they’re saying on the other end of the line.

Take it a step further by taking the old-fashioned route and write a letter. You can even make it “UMass-ified” by heading to the campus store to buy some custom stationery and stamps or order some cute ones online here. Your grandparents and aunts would love nothing more than receiving a hand-written note filled with affection from their favorite UMass student. And all you have to do is drop it off at your hall’s RSD to send it on its way!

2. Friends

Whether you’ve been friends since meeting each other at NSO freshman year or you’ve been best friends since preschool, it’s always important to remind your friends how much you care. At UMass, as a college student on a budget, you’re fortunate to have options that don’t break the bank.

Food. Next time when you’re at the dining hall and see your roomie’s favorite dessert, nab it for her. Nothing will make her day more than coming into the room after a long night of studying to find her favorite sweet waiting on her bed. This random act of kindness shows that you know and care for your friends. And best of all its free!

Go on a date. Time off is the most valuable thing to a college student, so plan a date with your friends. Have a girls’ night in at the dorms with manicures and popcorn or spend the day in Northampton and visit some cheap brunch spots at Glazed, Haymarket Café, or the Roost. Make sure to keep those phones away in order to have quality time with your girls, except to snap some cute pics. Nothing says “I love you” like a date and a cute post!

Offer help. Sometimes the best thing to do for friends is to offer your service. Whether they’re struggling in calculus, need help lofting their bed, or are dreading taking a trip to UHS, simply offer to help or tag along. Even though it may seem like a chore, your selflessness will most likely cheer up your friend. And when you’re doing something with those you love, anything can be made fun! Being there for your friends in their times of need shows how grateful you are to have them in your life.

Now as you head into November, Collegiettes, keep these things in the back of your mind, so that when the time arises you know exactly how to show the gratitude you have for your friends and family while making the most of your precious pennies. 

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

Sarah Cotton

U Mass Amherst

class of 2021 at UMass Amherst Vail, CO
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst