This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Because of these “trying times”, everyone has been reevaluating their exercise habits, work habits, and eating habits in new ways. Historically, I have been a very eat-everything kind of gal, frequently getting ice cream multiple times a week and rewarding myself with Chipotle for mundane things like doing laundry. Since being in this pandemic, though, I’ve been struggling with my skin and my overall health. Everyone I talk to seems to have long-standing nausea and new health concerns being so sedentary this winter. My sister has been dairy-free for a couple of years, and whenever she breaks it, her skin breaks out. I decided to try it and see the effect on my body and skin, and it was great! In my journey of becoming dairy-free, I’ve discovered my favorite alternatives. 

Kite Hill 

I love all sorts of Kite Hill products, with my favorite being their pasta: tortellini, ravioli, etc. with cheese alternative fillings. I would die if I had to give up tortellini, but Kite Hill is there for me. With a little marinara sauce on top, it is divine. I’ve recently tried their yogurt products and enjoyed them! They have mixed reviews for being a firmer texture, but I’d prefer that over a watery, coconut milk-based yogurt. Theirs is made with almond milk, so it does maintain a little nutty flavor, but I think it’s still good.

Trader Joe’s Brand 

I’ve recently tried their coconut milk yogurt, which was a pleasant surprise! I’ve only recently made space in my heart for a coconut-milk based yogurt, but trying the Trader Joe’s brand has been eye-opening. While it is a little more watery than the Kite Hill almond milk yogurts, the flavor is very amenable. I like to put KIND honey oat granola on top with some strawberries!

Oui by Yoplait 

A long-time favorite of mine has been the brand Oui by Yoplait. First off, I love the little glass containers they come in. While they do advertise not to reuse the containers for other food, I love using them for spice containers when I’m cooking, Buzzfeed-style. It is another coconut milk-based yogurt, so it is watery and coconut flavored, but adding a little toasted granola on top makes it delish!

Overall, I’m happy I’ve made the switch to dairy-free, but I do recognize it’s not for everyone! But if you are thinking about trying it, there are many options, perfect for dipping a toe into the dairy-free world.

Katherine Santin

U Mass Amherst '22

Katherine is a Senior majoring in Legal Studies and English with a minor in Arabic. She loves animals, and spend time with her dog and horse when she's at home. Some of her other interests include hiking, kayaking, and writing. Feel free to follow her instagram: @ughkatie
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst