Get Ready, It’s Award Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Awards season means red carpets, couture gowns and tuxedos, and last but not least the awards themselves. These awards are rewards for all the hard work these musicians and actors put into the past year and gives recognition to all the writers, directors, and producers that work behind the scenes that don’t get as much publicity as they should because they work just as hard if not harder. The biggest ceremonies this awards season are the Oscars, the GRAMMYs, and the Golden Globes. The Golden Globes and the GRAMMYs have happened, but they have inspired much conversation about what transpired at these ceremonies. 

The Golden Globes aired on January 11, 2015 and was the end of Amy Poehler and Tina Fey’s reign as hosts.  The winners were deserving of their honors and everyone looked amazing. Here’s a recap.

Top 3 Golden Globes Moments  

1. Jeremy Renner’s comment towards Jennifer Lopez while the two presented together.

2. Chrissy Teigen’s crying face when John Legend won the Golden Globe for Best Original Song (“Glory” from Selma).

3. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler’s reference to George Clooney receiving this year’s Cecil B. DeMille Lifetime Achievement Award and his marriage to Amal Alamuddin.

Top 3 Best Dressed

1. Gina Rodriguez: Winner for Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy TV Show for her role in Jane the Virgin on the CW, this is the first award in the network’s history. Gina gave a shout-out to the Hispanic community in her acceptance speech and thanked her parents and sisters for supporting her.

2. Amy Adams: Winner for Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy Motion Picture for her role in Big Eyes.

3. Eddie Redmayne: Winner for Best Actor in a Drama Motion Picture for his role in The Theory of Everything. In his acceptance speech he thanked his wife for cutting their honeymoon short to come to the awards.

Big winners:

Boyhood: Best Drama, Best Actress, Best Director

How to Train Your Dragon 2: Best Animation

The Theory of Everything: Best Actor and Best Score

Miss Golden Globes: Greer Grammar (daughter of Kelsey Grammar and star on MTV’s Awkard)

The GRAMMYs aired on February 8 with LL Cool J was the emcee. This year there were 23 performances throughout the night. AC/DC, Ed Sheeran with John Mayer as backup guitarist, Madonna, Miranda Lambert, Katy Perry (fresh off of her Super Bowl XLIX performance,) and Kanye West with Paul McCartney and Rihanna are just some of the amazing performances.

4 Standout Moments

1. Paul McCartney pulling a Taylor Swift.

2. Kristen Wiig dancing with Maddie Ziegler in Sia’s performance of “Chandelier”. 

3. Prince’s side-eye.

4. Josh Duhamel presenting an award with Julian Edelman and Malcolm Butler of the New England Patriots. 

Top 3 Best Dressed

1. Gwen Stefani: performed “My Heart is Open” with Adam Levine.

2. Taylor Swift: Ryan Seacrest dug up an old video of Swift saying “Shake It Off” (the song that was nominated).

3. Nicki Minaj: A less crazy side of Minaj has been seen at the past few events she has attended. Even though she’s toned it down a little, she’s still the daring Nicki Minaj we all know and love.

Big Winners

Sam Smith: Best New Artist, Best Pop Vocal Album, Record of the Year, and Song of the Year

Beck: Album of the Year for his album Morning Phase, beating Pharrell Williams, Beyoncé, and Ed Sheeran. Upon Beck’s acceptance of the award, Kanye reprised his 2009 VMA outburst defending Beyoncé’s album. 

The Academy Awards are on February 22 with Neil Patrick Harris hosting. The Golden Globes are the preliminaries to the Oscars, this is where the predictions happen. The Oscars are where the best actors and filmmakers compete for the top awards and designers put the actresses in their finest dresses. Since the show is a few weeks away, here are some of the nominees.

Best Picture

American Sniper

The Imitation Game

Birdman

Selma

Boyhood (winner at the Golden Globes)

The Grand Budapest Hotel

The Theory of Everything

Whiplash

Best Actor in a Leading Role

Steve Carell- Foxcatcher

Bradley Cooper- American Sniper

Benedict Cumberbatch- The Imitation Game

Michael Keaton- Birdman

Eddie Redmayne- The Theory of Everything (winner at the Golden Globes)

Best Actress in a Leading Role

Marion Cotillard- Two Days, One Night

Felicity Jones- The Theory of Everything

Rodamund Pike- Gone Girl

Reese Witherspoon- Wild

Julinanne Moore- Still Alice (winner at the Golden Globes)

Keep your eyes peeled for whoever wins the Oscars! If you still can’t get enough of these awards shows, there will be the Tonys and the Emmys coming in a matter of months. 

HCXO

GIFs

1,2,3,4,5,6

Pictures

1,2,3,4,5,6,7

Nominees and winners can be found at EW.com (Entertainment Weekly

Addie Levine

U Mass Amherst

English major with a love for music, TV, and all things pop culture. Born and raised in MA!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst