Get Drunk, Not Fat: How to Drink Responsibly (For Your Waistline)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Everyone likes to party, but no one likes to get fat. While there is a direct correlation between the two, there are many solutions to prevent the “beer belly.” While more sophisticated drinks are lower in calories compared to “punch” or “bro-juice” found on campuses, most college girls don’t have a bar full of ingredients to work with. For those of you who wish to still look great but migrate away from those classic rum and diet or vodka cranberry, here is the solution! Keeping resources and waistlines in mind, I have compiled the top five best drinks and spirits to try.

#5. The West Hippy and Crop Organic Cucumber Vodka

The Spirit: Crop Organic Cucumber Vodka Vodka has been drunk forever but in the recent years there have been increasing amounts of flavoring additions, from tomato to whip cream. Cucumber will leave you with a great tasting drunk without the overfull stomach or scrunched up shot face of some other vodkas.

The Drink: The West Hippy:

2oz Crop Organic Cucumber Vodka (120 calories)

3oz Minute Maid Light Lemonade (Available at UMass dining halls) 

Float with seltzer

Add a lime or lemon or cucumber if you want to get fancy about it!

Total: 125cal, 80 proof

#4. Whiskey and Not Your Average Starbucks

Ladies, don’t be scared off by whiskey. While it can be associated with men drinking out of rocks glasses, the spirit can be used for anything from the classic to the complex. One drink which is gaining popularity is whiskey and tea combinations. You can either add whiskey to your store bought tea drink or simply brew tea at home.

Not Your Average Starbucks:  

6oz Green Tea (You can substitute any kind of tea!)

1.5oz whiskey (105 calories for JD)

1 tablespoon of honey (64 calories)

Brown sugar or sugar substitute optional (calories depend on taste)

Total: 169cal, 90 proof

#3. Tequila and The Fresher the Freshens

Silver tequila works great for this drink, it is not necessary to invest in anything older. Combining anything with a smoothie is a great way to start the night. Nothing is better than a good workout at the gym and an alcoholic smoothie to quench your thirst. 

The Fresher the Freshens:

1.5oz Tequila (around 90 calories)

1 Freshnes Strawberry Smoothie (70cal) (Freshens available on the UMass campus)  

Total: 160cal, 70-80 proof

#2. Bacardi 151 and The Spring Break

Bacardi 151 is commonly seen on the weekends being drank out of the bottle or being poured into a red cup. While many can say it gives them a great time, it is not commonly associated with a great taste.

The Spring Break:

1.5oz Bacardi 151 (183 calories)

2oz orange juice lite (5 calories)

1oz pineapple juice (17 calories)

Float with coconut seltzer or diet ginger ale depending on taste preference

Total: 205cal, 151 proof

#1. The Walk of  Shame

Everclear has one of the highest alcohol percentages possible, ranking in at 190 proof or 95% alcohol. It also comes with a warning not to drink straight.

Everclear is not legal for sale in all 50 states, however Massachusetts is one of the states leading the country in the consumption. So go Mass!

The Walk of  Shame:

1oz Everclear (190 calories)

6oz Diet Sprite (Available at most UMass dining centers) (0 calories)

2 lime wedges (0 calories)

Serve on ice if possible

Total: 190cal, 190 proof

So there you have it, ladies. Drink responsibly!

Oriana Schneps

U Mass Amherst

Live in Cambridge MA! Love scuba diving and horseback riding. I am a undergraduate student at UMass Amherst majoring in Hotel and Tourism Management and Biology. You can contact me at OSchneps@UMass.edu
Julie Tran

U Mass Amherst

Julie Tran is a current senior majoring in Psychology at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst and Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus UMass Amherst chapter. She is a Boston native and has lived in the town of Brighton for the majority of her life.Julie works part-time as an administrative assistant at the Student Legal Services Office on campus. She is also the Co-Founder and Vice-President of Ed2010 at UMass Amherst and a certified Rape Crisis Counselor. Julie doesn't have any solid plans for the future yet but wants to pursue a career in marketing. Her life goal is to travel the world, live in New York City at some point, and have her own business.