Wellness > Health

Fun Ways to Stay Active Without a Gym Membership

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Going to the gym was one of my favorite things to do pre-COVID. I would go after a long day of classes to unwind, get some energy out, or just go when I was bored and none of my friends were around. When COVID struck, everything changed, and one of those things was my access to a gym, so that is when I decided to get creative. 

My mental health really declined during the first couple months of quarantine because even though I still had access to my classes online, I had no structured schedule, and as a type A personality, I need that. 

I am lucky enough to have some gym equipment in my house, but always doing the same thing gets to be boring, so I have compiled four fun ways that I have been able to stay active throughout the pandemic.

1. No-Equipment Kickboxing

I used to go to a kickboxing club pre-COVID and knew I wanted to see if there were options to do a similar workout at home for free without any of the equipment I would usually have access to at the gym. I started to dig on YouTube where I went down the rabbit hole and noticed that there are amazing videos of no-equipment kickboxing. The fun thing about kickboxing is that it goes by so fast, so it doesn’t even feel like a workout at all. The high-energy music and the constant movement make for a fun and fast-paced workout.

2. Taking a Walk

“Quarantine walks” are well-known by now, but it has honestly been my favorite thing to do (even in the cold New England winter). Being a college student cooped up at home with no in-person classes this year, I began to notice I do not get as much fresh air as I should. So with that, I began taking daily walks outside because it gets me moving and allows me to escape the confines of my apartment. Not only is going for a walk a fun way to exercise, but you can also clear your mind, spend time with family and friends (while social distancing of course), and even take your dog!

Athletic Shoes
Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels

3. Yoga

For yoga, all you need is a mat and A LOT of patience. I was able (yet again) to find a lot of awesome videos on YouTube. What’s fun about yoga is that it doesn’t feel like you’re actually working out, when in fact, almost every muscle in your body is worked in one way or another. There are also so many different types of yoga to help you stretch and strengthen your body. All it takes is trying out different types in order to find the one that works best for you!

Photo by cottonbro from Pexels

4. Exploring the Instagram Explore Page

The Instagram “Explore” page was, and still is, one of my go-to’s when it comes to finding good workouts. From ab exercises to booty workouts, I have been able to find almost anything that I can do in my little apartment. From squats to jumping jacks, there are many free workout circuits to find by just looking on Instagram (the hardest part is actually getting up to do them, but you got this!). Some of my favorite accounts on Instagram have been: @hiit.workout; @home_squats; and @womensbest. 

During this pandemic, it is important to take extra time to nourish our bodies and minds. Working out has been a way I have been able to do that. At the end of the day, working out should feel fun and rewarding as you try to make your body feel good, and everyone has a different way of making themselves feel better.

Sofi Shlepakov

U Mass Amherst '23

Sofi is a second year student at UMass Amherst double majoring in Economics and Journalism while working towards a certificate in Media Literacy. In her free time Sofi loves to read, workout, and watch movies.