Bridgerton cast posing for Netflix poster
Netflix

From Sheffield to Sharma: Why Indian Representation in Bridgerton Is So Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Dear Gentle Reader,

Bridgerton has done a lot of good things for Regency-era fans: steamy romance, witty dialogue, a chance to see some gorgeous outfit choices, and people of color as three-dimensional, interesting, strong protagonists. However, as an Indian woman, I was certainly not expecting season two to bring three resilient, brave, and intriguing South Indians in as leading ladies. As a child, I had watched Aladdin and Bend It Like Beckham a thousand times just to see women with the same skin and similar cultures to me onscreen. In a time of blonde, blue-eyed Barbies and Cinderellas it seemed absurd to wish for Indian characters onscreen. And not to mention, Indian characters like Baljeet from Phineas and Ferb or Ravi from Jessie, were severely stereotyped in their respective shows, making their intelligence and lackluster sports skills their entire personality. When surrounded by characters like that and the social impact they make, it was tough to grow up without somewhat wanting to hide my own culture and where I came from to make sure I wouldn’t be stereotyped the same way.

Of course, things became different as I grew up and began to embrace the beauty of my culture and the unique identity that it gave me. However, watching Kathani (Kate) and Edwina Sharma onscreen years after I had begun my journey to self-acceptance and self-love still made me fangirl. Not only were they portrayed in a way that did not make their Indian-ness their entire personality, but they were also shown to be three-dimensional, with distinct personalities, opinions, and unique voices that enhanced the show. Furthermore, the fact that Anthony was to court a girl from India was never looked upon as any different than courting a girl from Mayfair. In this show, the entirety of Indian culture was accepted and furthermore, even showcased, which I’m about to get into.

If you’ve ever met an Indian person, you know that oiling hair is a special tradition that has been passed down over generations. My own mother painted my hair with warm coconut oil pretty regularly growing up, always taking time to massage it in. It was a time for not just physical bonding through loving touch, but through conversation and laughter, as it is for most Indian families. To have the act of oiling hair showcased in such a profound and loving way to show the bond between Kate and Edwina was masterful. Before watching this season of Bridgerton, I had never seen that act in any show or film before, and to see it felt moving and deeply personal.

Touching on other Indian ceremonies, the haldi ceremony that was shown towards the end of the season was also monumental. Haldi is a mixture of turmeric and oil or water that is applied to the face and body of the bride to bless her; it’s supposed to be a time for family and connecting. Although we all know that the little Kate and Anthony scandal was going on in the background, the haldi scene was portrayed beautifully, with a strings cover of Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham (a very well-known song from a CLASSIC Bollywood movie) in the background, and rich tones of orange, yellow, and gold surrounding them.

Speaking of rich tones, can we just touch on the clothes? All the outfits in Bridgerton have been stunning throughout seasons one and two, but the Sharmas’ dresses had South Asian touches and patterns, including the shawls that Kate was seen to have been wearing. Kate particularly wore darker jewel tones that are quite reminiscent of the color palettes that those from that region in India wear, even though Edwina’s pinks and blushes seemed more a symbol of how she was trying to be like the other ladies in society. The sisters also wore Indian jewelry – gold, gem-encrusted bangles (the infamous bangle scene at Anthony and Edwina’s wedding, anybody?) and jhumka earrings, which are dangly, jeweled earrings with a very specific bell-like shape. It felt personal and even inspiring to see this Indian-English fusion of styles that the Sharmas wore.

World map in IKEA under a light bulb
Original photo by Caitlin Lu

If you still need an explicit push to go watch this season, here it is: Watch Bridgerton Season 2! You will NOT be disappointed! The representation, the song choices, the choice to give Anthony and Kate tension in a non-sexual way that paid homage to the way romance was depicted in Bollywood movies – all of it was so powerful. Even if you’re not Indian, the plot and the slow burn of Anthony and Kate’s love will absolutely keep your eyes glued to the screen from start to finish. Here’s to a season three – and much more representation and progress to come!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Rachel Prince

U Mass Amherst '22

Rachel Prince is a senior at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She is part of the Honors College, majoring in Neuroscience with the hope of becoming a doctor later in life. She loves playing the piano, creative writing, singing, and riding her bike at sunset. When she is not busy hanging out with her friends, she is planning out her next roadtrip, creating smoothie recipes, or trying to a find a new book to read.