The Freshman Fifteen Mistakes: My First Semester at UMass Amherst

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I wouldn’t trade my first semester here at UMass Amherst for anything! I’ve made so many friends, fallen in love with my classes, and I’m starting to figure out just who I am and where I’m going. But not all of it has been a walk in the park—I’ve made a few mistakes along the way, such as:

Thinking the “All You Can Eat” title at the DCs is a challenge…

…but then trying to not gain the notorious “Freshman Fifteen.”

Believing professors when they say the textbook is “required,” when we don’t touch it all year.

Thinking it’d be easy to get up for my 8am.

Scheduling an 8am in the first place.

Going to Berk on a Friday night/Saturday night/any night, and thinking that it won’t be that crowded.

Trying to figure out how to print on my own at the library.

Going to a lecture without my laptop.

Thinking that the Morrill Science Buildings would be in order, then trying to find a class in there. It’s kinda like this:

Promising myself I’d go to the gym every single day, but now I’m like…

Spending forever on my hair, then going through the wind tunnel…

…Only to get to class looking like:

Forgetting my headphones in my dorm and having to listen to conversations on the bus/walking/wherever.

At the gym, rocking out (and thinking no one will notice!) like

Not realizing just how quickly classes fill up on Spire, and slowly watching the green (open) turn blue (closed)

But now, I’m just looking forward to a bright, new semester! Let’s do this!

Brittany O'Neil

U Mass Amherst

Brittany is a junior at UMass Amherst with a double major in Early Childhood Education and Psychology. In addition to being a content editor for the best Her Campus chapter, she also works for the STEM Ambassadors Program, and is a Peer Mentor. She's obsessed with Netflix, sarcasm, and gifs. Lots and lots of gifs.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst