Four Forgotten Songs from the Late 90’s/Early 2000’s That Defined Our Childhood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

We constantly reminisce about our childhood way back in the 1990’s and into the early 2000’s. For the majority of us, we always talk about how excited we used to be when we would open up our lunch boxes at school to find that our parents packed us Dunk-a-Roos or maybe even the awesome pizza dipper Lunchables. As a senior in college, on the brink of adulthood and truly a 90’s music nerd, I recently rediscovered some of the music I used to listen to on my portable CD player when I was growing up. It is surprising that many of us have forgotten some of the greatest tunes of our times. The romance-crazed and party seeking teens in these bands were our role models when we were younger, and for some, we wanted to grow up just like them. However, there were some songs during this time that accurately depict what our lives at this point in our college career look like and we didn’t even know it! Plug your headphones in and listen to these jams from the past:

1. “Spinning Around” by Jump5

This classic Radio Disney jam came out back in August 2001. Jump5 is known for several other hits as well such as their renditions of “God Bless the USA” and “Walking on Sunshine.” If you do not remember this band, I highly recommend looking them up on Spotify and it will take you down memory lane for sure! 

2. “Upside Down” by A-Teens 

Quite possibly more well known for their hit song “Dancing Queen,” that many of us may remember airing on Disney Channel back in the late 1990’s, A-Teens was a Swedish pop group that got its start in Stockholm, Sweden back in 1998. “Upside Down” came out in 2001 and was also a big hit on Radio Disney. Feeling nostalgic yet?

3. “S Club Party” by S Club 7

You probably know the catchy phrase from the song: “There ain’t no party like an S Club party!” Interestingly enough, S Club 7 was created by the former manager for the Spice Girls and the band also had their own show called S Club 7 in Miami that aired on ABC Family. Collegiettes, some of you may remember watching the show or perhaps glanced at some of the commercials in between the shows you may have watched on this channel. S Club 7 probably would be your typical definition of #squadgoals today.

4. “Hand In My Pocket” by Alannis Morissette  

This is probably a song that we all can relate to at the current stage we are in our lives. Alannis Morissette’s hard hitting lyrics pretty much sum it all up: despite being “young and underpaid,” we all are going to be okay. If you have the time to listen to this song, I encourage you to listen to the lyrics very carefully. 

If you are looking for more great blasts from the past, definitely take a look at the various artists on Spotify. They even have playlists devoted to bands from the late 1990’s into the early 2000’s. Most importantly, this music certainly defines our generation and although we may not remember much about it, taking a trip down memory lane never hurts!

Image and Video Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst