Five Ways to Connect With Nature This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Every autumn, I feel a twinge of sadness when all of the colorful leaves fall from the trees and I wish I would have taken advantage of the nice weather while it lasted. You don’t have to carve out a weekend or even a day for pumpkins, apples, and hay rides to take advantage of fall while it’s here!

Go for a nature walk

One of the easiest (but also the most difficult to actually commit to) activities is a nature walk. You could go to a nearby trail or just stay in your neighborhood, but it just gives you an opportunity to breathe in the crisp fall air. To make getting outside more attainable, try taking a slightly longer walking route on your way back from class or combining the walk with an end goal, like getting a coffee. Working the outdoors into your daily routine makes it easier to spend more time outside without a large push of effort.

autumn leaves on a dirt road
Natalie Szewczyk
Do some fall DIYs

Whether you love to try new recipes, want to see if you can press some pretty leaves, or make a cute decoration, getting creative is a great way to connect with natural materials and the fall season! You can find so much inspiration on Pinterest or other social media pages that can spark creativity and get ideas flowing.

get outside and breathe!

Although similar to the nature walk, sometimes all you have time for is a deep breath outside. Grounding yourself using things you can hear, smell, or touch while outside can not only help you appreciate the nature around you but also help you feel more relaxed throughout your day.

Go for a fall foliage walk or drive

If you live in New England, it can be easy to grow accustomed to how beautiful the foliage is every year, but taking a step back and truly looking at the changing season can bring back the feeling of appreciation. Scheduling a drive through a scenic route or to a lookout spot is a great way to spend time enjoying nature without having to plan a long hike.

Take advantage of autumn produce

Even if fall isn’t your favorite season, anyone can appreciate the wide variety of comforting foods and activities related to the fall harvest. Between apple orchards, pumpkin patches, and roasting squash for a heartwarming soup, there are tons of opportunities to celebrate fall produce and connect with the season!

Spending a little time investigating the unique aspects of fall can also help you discover your new favorite activities and places! Autumn can bring difficult feelings of change and loss, but embracing seasonality, especially in New England, helps you to connect with nature and gain peace with the natural process of change.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Katherine Dickey

U Mass Amherst '24

Katherine Dickey is currently an environmental conservation major at UMass and is interested in education, film, and sustainability. Outside of school, Katherine loves playing piano, making vegetarian food, and spending time outside at the beach. She is super excited to be a member of CHAARG, PITCH, and Her Campus at UMass!