Life > Academics

5 of the Best Study Spots on the UMass Amherst Campus!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Who said studying had to be boring? One of the best parts of studying this semester is the fact that we FINALLY don’t need to do it from just our homes! Being back on campus is such an amazing feeling, and we need to take advantage of it while we still can. (Who knows when the next pandemic will hit?!) I think COVID-19 taught us all to make the most of every given situation. While our workload may seem stressful this semester, destress by giving yourself time and space in a comfortable environment to get all of your studying done.

Follow this list to hear about five of the best study spots on the UMass Amherst campus!

Communications Hub of the ILC

Everyone that goes to UMass knows how awesome and trendy the Integrated Learning Center (ILC) is. It’s sleek, modern, and such a nice environment to learn and study in. My favorite spot in the ILC is definitely the third-floor Communications Hub which is open to all students. The space has a ton of comfortable seating, tables, and chairs. I have literally spent an entire day there before just studying and doing schoolwork. It also has all open glass windows which give you such a gorgeous view of the Campus Pond. The volume isn’t super loud, but it also isn’t a quiet floor, so you do have the option to talk to peers if need be.

South College

If you haven’t been to South College, consider this a sign. In my opinion, it is the most gorgeous building on campus, inside and out. It is a deep red brick building located right next to the W.E.B. Du Bois Library and Thompson Hall. It looks super dated (but still beautiful) on the outside, but on the inside, the building is super modern and an awesome place to study. It is silent in there too, so if you prefer quiet when you work like I do, this is definitely the place for you to be!

Quiet Floors in W.E.B. Du Bois Library

The quiet floors on the library are like entering a whole new dimension. It is literally so silent that you could hear a pin drop, and you get your own little desk area to yourself. I get so much done on the quiet floors because everyone is super focused and needs to get work done! Also, you get a gorgeous view of campus! What else could you ask for when studying for a trillion hours?!

The New and Improved Student Union

I don’t know if everyone has visited it yet, but you need to. The new Student Union is so gorgeous and updated, making it a great spot to meet and study with friends. It can get a bit loud, but like I said, it is perfect for group studying sessions or even just cramming in a coffee and fifteen minutes of studying before an exam!

On the grass by the Campus Pond

If you are one with nature and thrive being outside then I totally recommend studying outside by the Campus Pond! It is so pretty and relaxing there, as long as it is weather permitting!

Clearly, UMass is a huge campus with tons of study spots — many of which I probably don’t even know about! At the end of the day, it comes down to your preferences. Do you like noise or quiet? What is the most convenient spot to study in relation to all of your classes? Things like this are extremely important to keep in mind this semester.

Happy studying!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Victoria Tustin

U Mass Amherst '22

Tory is a senior here at UMass Amherst. She is currently a Journalism major with a Spanish minor, and has a passion for writing just about anything!