Five Lessons UMass Amherst Taught Me As An Graduating Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Graduating college can be scary, confusing, and overall stressful. But looking back on my time spent here at UMass Amherst, and the lessons I have learned, it has taught me to be the person I am today and in the near future.

Don’t Be Afraid to be you

As an incoming freshman, who transferred to a new school, I couldn’t have been more scared entering a new environment all over again for the first time, all within my first year at college. I was worried about who I would find as friends, who would like me, and if I felt like I truly belonged here. I struggled with that at the university I transferred from and was hoping UMass Amherst would be my answer, and it was. I found friends who I will always cherish forever. Through trial and error, you will meet those who will stick by your side and those who choose to leave, and that is okay. Be yourself always, never be someone who you are not just because others expect that of you. Be who you feel the most comfortable and proud while in college and it will give you the most rewarding outcomes.

it Is Okay to be behind

As I mentioned, I transferred here, and my credits did not transfer through from my previous college. And I was behind. This scared me at first, worried me, and stressed me as I found that I would never make it on time. But throughout the years being here at UMass and the advice I was given by my professors, that giving yourself an extra semester or year is okay. There isn’t a deadline for finishing college. You choose your path, and if your path shows that you have to stay a bit longer, then do so and make the most of it. I managed to maintain two minors as well as my major while staying an extra year, and I wouldn’t have changed it.

don’t worry about not knowing what to major in

I think just about everyone struggles with not knowing what to major at first when entering college. Whether that be when applying or while taking classes for the major you already have. It’s okay to feel lost sometimes, that is how you grow. I had changed mine three times, two while I was at my previous college and one while I was applying for UMass. But coming into UMass with my major, I quickly fell in love with it: the classes, the professors. I found that I was picking my major based on how I could make a certain amount of money rather than my own interests. And once I picked my major, I found that I could pick other minors to go along with it. I am graduating with my Bachelors in English along with minors in Education and Psychology, and couldn’t have been happier with my decisions.

A Bad Grade won’t determine your downfall

I had struggled a lot with bad grades as a college student. In high school, I was someone who continuously got good grades. So when I got a couple of bad grades in college, I thought my life was over. But I found that I wasn’t alone, and it wasn’t the end of the world. You can take other classes to make up for that grade to boost your GPA. But don’t allow a couple of bad grades to determine who you are as a student. Keep going and do better next time.

Have fun!

It’s college, let loose! On occasions of course. Allow yourself some fun, go out with friends, and enjoy those moments because you won’t be able to relive them. Take as many photos and videos as you can to look back on, to remember those silly nights you had with your friends or the chill ones you had when you weren’t feeling like going out. Enjoy these moments while you can, it made my experience at college one of the greatest times, and I will forever look back on them with those I was able to share with.

Though graduating is a scary topic to think about, it is something that needs to be done. Allow yourself to make memories while you can while working hard to pursue your future ahead of you.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Hannah Corcoran

U Mass Amherst '23

Hannah is a senior at UMass Amherst, she is studying English with minors in both Psychology and Education. She enjoys reading and writing on her spare time.