Five Fall 2017 Fashion Trends That All College Students Can Rock

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It’s that time of year when the leaves change colors, the weather gets colder, and the sweaters begin to appear. As a UMass college student, it’s important to keep warm and dress properly so you don’t get sick — we have enough to worry about as is without adding a cold to the list. Anyone from New England knows how chilly it can get during the fall and winter months, so it is important to be prepared with these five fall fashion trends that all college students can rock!

1. Cardigans

Cardigans are a must for fall 2017. They keep you warm and cozy, and also look unique and stylish. Cardigans are also sold in different sleeve lengths, which gives you some versatility (especially because New England weather is never consistent). These trendy sweaters go with almost any outfit and are perfect for layering.

2. Ripped jeans

Ripped jeans are very popular and never go out of style because anybody can pull them off.  They can be styled with everything like Converse, heels and basic tees. They give you an edgy grunge look and are also extremely comfortable. These pants come in different lengths and colors, so they work well with anyone’s personal style.

3. Bomber Jackets

These jackets are my personal favorite because they’re retro and fashionable, yet low-key. They come in various styles and colors, so the possibilities are endless. Some bomber jackets also have bold statements printed on them, which helps promote expression. Wearing bomber jackets will help any college student express individuality while walking around campus, but most importantly, they keep you warm and comfy. This item can be paired with almost any t-shirt or pant style of your choice, and might even make people think that you actually spent time picking out your outfit on those lazy days (we all have them).

4. Choker Sweaters

Choker sweaters are currently a very popular trend; they help keep you warm for the cold weather, while exuding style. Their unique design and personality pairs well with fall aesthetic, and these sweaters are sure to complement any outfit you put together — I recommend pairing them with a coat, ripped jeans, and fuzzy boots.  

5. Scarves

Scarves are a great addition to your autumn wardrobe because they come in various styles and help with layering in this cold weather. Popular textiles and fabrics for scarves include cashmere, wool, and silk depending on your preference. Scarves can also be styled in a number of ways: double loop it, braid it, or even wear it as a neck wrap. Scarves also pair well with anyone’s individual style choice, and can be worn in multiple seasons. More importantly, they cover your chest and prevent you from getting a cold. Lastly, they are affordable and you’re bound to find them at any store.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6    

Caroline Ault

U Mass Amherst

Caroline is a member of Her Campus UMass Amherst. She is a psychology major and political science double major. Her hobbies include watching Netflix, hanging with friends, and going on adventures. She is from Westchester, NY and is currently a freshman at UMass. She is passionate about fashion, mental health awareness, and traveling.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst