This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Game of Thrones is a fabulous show. The incredible storytelling, ongoing character development and those costumes (Khaleesi’s hair, anyone?) keep us coming back to HBO every Sunday night at 9 (or streaming it when you have time between classes).

Yet the program has caught a lot of flack from critics for a variety of reasons; there’s the issues of violence and excessive amounts of sex scenes. But one of the most interesting discussions surrounding the show is GoT’s portrayal of women. The debate is divided into two camps, those who say the show is misogynistic and capitalizes on female nudity and violence to score views, and those who say the show is a feminist manifesto that illustrates powerful women in a time when women were seen as worthless. And both sides can get pretty passionate.

In the age of the internet, it’s so easy for viewers and critics to post their opinion online and share it with fans everywhere; we read one compelling blog for an argument either way, nod and say “Hey that makes sense, I agree with that” and go on our merry way.

But Collegiettes, as we all know, think for ourselves. Thus we present to you, for your analyzing pleasure, the most compelling arguments in the debate of Game of Thrones: Feminist Manifesto vs. Misogynist Trash.

Argument: Misogynist Trash because Nudity

You see a lot of nudity on GoT. Admittedly, it is common for both men and women to be shown sans clothes (fabulous-award winning clothes, by the way), but it’s pretty obvious that the majority of nude scenes are of women. Critics argue that the show offers “flashes” of male actors but “lingers” on the actresses. A cheap ploy selling women’s bodies for views? Maybe.

This argument has less to do with the plot and themes of the show, and more to do with how the plot is presented. These scenes could be filmed with “flashes” on everyone, and “lingers” on no one, or “lingers” on everyone and “flashes” on no one. Equality in the nude scenes! Or no nude scenes at all! How can a show in which the folks behind the scenes are so obviously fixated on exploiting women’s bodies for gain be considered feminist at all? This lady agrees!

Argument: Feminist Manifesto because George R.R. Martin is a Feminist

The author of the Game of Thrones books, A Song of Fire and Ice, has stated: “To me being a feminist is about treating men and women the same,” he said. “I regard men and women as all human – yes, there are differences, but many of those differences are created by the culture that we live in, whether it’s the medieval culture of Westeros, or 21st century western culture.” Individuals of the opinion that GoT is an example of women’s liberation in the media argue that Martin’s feminist ideologies shine through in his female characters. This lady agrees!

Argument: Misogynist Trash because of Excessive Rapes

Sexual violence in GoT happens kind of a whole awful lot. And if we don’t see it straight out, it’s often alluded to. Again, these scenes could just be a sign of the times, used to illustrate the kinds of people in Westeros and how women are treated and regarded. Yet these scenes can get lurid and gratuitous. Many argue that producers use uncalled violence against women to shock viewers and keep the audience on the edge of their seat. These kind of shock tactics may be used all the time in the media, but a show that’s supposed to be considered pro-woman probably shouldn’t capitalize on that cheap ploy. This lady agrees!

Argument: Feminist Manifesto because of Powerful Women

Westeros is so clearly a male-dominated society, and women are seen as objects. Yet, an abundance of powerful female characters fighting the patriarchy (as well as their other tangible enemies) defies that. Brienne of Tarth, Cersei Lannister, Arya Stark, Margaery Tyrell, Daenerys Targaryen, even Sansa Stark are the epitome of badass, to name a few. In a society where women would are generally considered property, these girls became fighters, leaders, and survivors against all odds. This lady agrees!

In conclusion, there are so many arguments out there for and against the feminism of GoT that it’s hard to break it all down. And then again there’s the argument of whether it really matters at all. Some things just won’t have an agenda either way, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the story and characters regardless. However, we shouldn’t stop thinking, questioning, and debating the shows we love, the media in general, and the themes and messages we can discern from them.

Mia Brugnoli-Ensin

U Mass Amherst

I'm Mia and I'm a student studying communications and psychology at UMass Amherst.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst